Wednesday, February 27, 2008

To another great Conservative.......LEFT COAST CHUCK

A Tribute

Front Page Magazine is where I started getting interested in politics while living in Paris, France. The internet was a great way to stay in touch with America and internet politics most captured my attention. It hadn’t before, I’d always figured we had a great country and would always have a great country. Today, I know we have a great country…….to save.

9/11 happened while I lived in Paris. Over night, I went from pleasantly coasting through Politics 101 to a crash (you should pardon the expression) course in Advanced Politics with a double major in Islamofascism. 9/11 drew me with more interest to FPM and to where I met a lot of great people. This is how I got to know a fellow with the screen name of Left Coast Chuck.

Chuck was a mild mannered gentleman who told me how much he liked my posts and often responded to them, as I did to his. He was a staunch conservative, free market, America-loving, wonderfully sweet man of faith; nothing worn on his sleeve, but you felt it. He had values which echoed those of our forefathers; he was a flag waving, gun totin’ patriot. He and I had a nice cozy situation with another great conservative poster, Lorena Meadows. The three of us hit it off and posted to each other a lot.

Then, one day, Lorena wrote me asking if I’d seen any postings from Chuck and I told her I hadn’t. I reminded her that, months before, he’d said he was very ill. She reminded me then that he’d come back recently, after a week off, saying he’d been taken ill again. So, we worried. But, there was a country to save and there are probably 15 posters I enjoyed and bantered with on a regular basis. Life went on at FPM, but I would occasionally scan the screen names for Left Coast Chuck and wouldn’t see him.

One day, I got this post from the screen name “Left Coast kid”.

“To ZinLA and Lorena Meadows, Left Coast Chuck was my dad, and as you know he has been ill recently. My dad had asked me to tell you if anything were to happen to him, and unfortunately I have to tell you that he has passed away, on Nov. 4. unexpectedly. We were told that he would have up to 2 years left so we were not prepared for this. Forgive me for waiting to notify you, but things have been very difficult with dealing with this through his birthday NOV. 19 and the holidays. He considered you his friends and admired you, and I would like to thank you for all your kindness, and prayers, and friendship you showed him. It meant more than you know! He was a great man, my hero, and I miss him more than words can say. Thank you again, Jamie”

I have an FPM file I’ve kept over the years of kind, crazy, or otherwise meaningful posts I’ve had written to me. There are only about twenty, but they’re important to me. This one certainly is.

We’d never met, never spoken on the telephone, but Chuck couldn’t leave without Lorena and me knowing that he’d not be coming back. A man who was a stranger for all intents and purposes wanted to thank us for our friendship. This man with such great values and such kindness imposed it on his child to tell his closest pals at FPM he was gone and wouldn’t be coming back. He didn’t want us to worry.

I was very fond of Left Coast Chuck. I’ll never forget him. It’s fine to write about politics, get upset about what’s going on, hate the Left, call Islam for what it is, complain, whine and rant and rave; this is fun and keeps the heart pumping. But, it didn’t work for Chuck. And no post I ever get will top his kid Jamie’s. Not because he told us his dad had died, but that his dad had wanted him to tell us goodbye and thanks. He wanted us to know why we wouldn’t hear from him again.

I still post a lot at FPM, and I still think of Left Coast Chuck, and I remind myself that it’s men like him who made this country great and it’s men like him for whom we have to save it. Get busy. For my friend, Mr. Left Coast Chuck.
Z

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hand.... Salute!

beakerkin said...

Left coast Chuck was before my time., Connie and Steve BL were in my era.

Z said...

FJ....Chuck deserves a 'salute'..no doubt about it. I'd been thinking of writing something for a while and I'm glad it's finally out there...Chuck deserved a kind of homage, I think.

Beak....HI! Connie and Steve (CanadianSteve now) are still there. Connie, very rarely. You need to come back.

Farmer, did you ever post much at FPM?

nanc said...

what a fitting tribute, z.

we lost another blogger, wild bill, just a couple of weeks ago - he was a one of a kind also.

and a few months ago, orangeducks - we should remember these warriors whenever possible.

Anonymous said...

Hi Z,
How poignant, and lovely. I have many times lamented a loss of grace and beauty in our society today. Your story of Left Coast Chuck demonstrates that, even in facing death this man thought of you and your friends, who he'd never met, and wanted to say goodbye.

He wanted you to know he couldn't come back, and didn't want you to wonder why he didn't.

A true example of grace, in the most difficult of circumstances. It's wonderful that you honor him, and will always remember him.

Thank you for sharing this, Z, we never know from one day to the next when someone will touch our lives in a way which stays with us always, we can only be grateful when they do.

Knowing you, it's easy to see why Chuck felt he knew you, and wanted you to know why he had to say goodbye.

Pris

Z said...

Thanks, Pris,
I've been mostly very, very lucky with the wonderful people I've met on the net. Chuck's kid writing like that knocked me out, I must admit. What a guy!

CJ said...

That is a very nice remembrance, Z, and I also remember that message coming in from Left Coast Kid at the time. Very touching, although I hadn't had any exchanges with his (or her?) father myself.

By the way, is Lorena around anywhere any more?

And if The Beak looks in again, hi to you Beaker, I'm pleased you remember me. I don't do a lot of posting on politics any more. Hope things are well with you.

Connie

elmers brother said...

I've made quite a few friends on the internet...makes the world seem a lot smaller.

Anonymous said...

Farmer, did you ever post much at FPM

Yes, but not much as "Farmer John". I had a different 'handle' which was mistaken for Socrates. I killed it and buried it and refuse to this day to acknowledge it, since I didn't want the real Socrates to pick it up and start using it.

I don't remember Left Coast Chuck, but I did have a few converations w/Lorena Meadows and probably more than one with you.

Anonymous said...

When mr. ducky and I left FPM, we used to hang out at Big Bubba's w/ samwich and a few other FPM characters.

When Big Bubba started his new forum (The Misanthropundit), ducky and I got IP banned, and Bubba never figured out how to let us back in. So I hung out with Beakerkin, AoW, warren/Longrange, nanc and tmw.

The Merry Widow said...

And we won't let you go either, FJ! You are ours NOW!
Z-That was a beautiful and heartfelt post, I think Left Coast would be touched and honored!
When someone leaves such a legacy in their progeny, I should be so lucky.
I think I remember a few of his comments at MBC.

tmw

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

It's nice when you find people online that you can consider friends even if you've never actually smelled their breath in the real world.

Most of my blog roll are people I consider friends.

Z said...

Just to have been so welcomed into the blogosphere by this little corner of it, nanc, Elbro, Mr. B, Beak, FJ, TMW, AOW, Brooke, Cate, Jason and the rest of you.....showed what big hearted, kind and good people you all are. I was brand new and you all came to see what's up! SO nice. It's partly why I thought you all might like my tribute to Left Coast Chuck.

TMW....there isn't enough blogging room to write a tribute to you......

Even Mr. Z sometimes says "what's new in your blog world?"

thanks, everybody.....z

elmers brother said...

your going to ruin all of our reputations Z

Anonymous said...

Not as badly as we're going to ruin hers, elbro... ;-)

Z said...

FJ, you and Elbro can ruin MY reputation ANY day of the week (HA!). Anyway, after the article I just posted, my life isn't worth much anymore, anyway, right?

Anonymous said...

Z thanks for that wonderful and touching story.

Morgan

Susannah said...

Now, THAT I couldn't get through w/o tears. What a beautiful, poignant way to honor your friend. (I'm still sniffling...) I just read it, with difficulty, to my sweet husband. His comment (& he was also very touched, btw)? "Make sure I have your password..."

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this with me, sweet friend. I am very fortunate to be getting to know you & so many others! We really are a community of friends, aren't we? Thanks.