Friday, May 30, 2008

Another 'Priscilla's Post' You won't want to miss this



LETTER TO THE GOP

Are you still the Grand Old Party? Please explain why you deserve that title. You allow the opposition to set your agenda and did so even when you were the majority party. When it became clear to you that Americans do not want amnesty given to illegal aliens, we heard epithets like “bigot” and “xenophobe” from some Republican leaders. Did you rise up and decry such insults to those who simply want the rule of law to be honored and respect for citizens whose cities are overrun with numbers of illegal immigrants who cannot possibly be assimilated into American society so quickly? No, you blamed talk radio and law abiding Americans who simply want the law to be enforced and for our border to be truly secure.

When the comprehensive immigration bill failed because motivated Americans let you know, in no uncertain terms, we did not want it, you were angry. You continued your efforts to pass it on the sly. Still, it failed. Did you address America and say our voices were heard and that the will of the people would be earnestly honored? No, you did not. Now we know we must be vigilant because, to put it simply, ‘once burned, twice shy‘.

Where were you when Democrats were insulting the President and referring to our troops as “cold blooded killers?“ Where were the press conferences denouncing the politicians who told the world we were like “Nazis”, who called Guantanamo Bay “Bush’s torture chamber?“ Where was GOP outrage? There was silence, with the occasional exception of one or another Republican who uttered his disapproval of such self-defeating talk. Meanwhile, the Democrat drumbeat of name calling and undermining of our war effort continued and does to this day. Where are you, hiding under your desks? Do you care? We really don’t know.

Where were you when the Medicare Prescription program was proposed by the President? Did you forget we are supposed to be the Party of smaller government? Did you as the majority Party tell the President you would not support a huge new entitlement program which we can’t afford? No, you voted for it. ‘Who cares where the money is coming from?’ This, in a time of war, bigger government moving ever more closely toward socialized healthcare. No more the Party of smaller government and responsible leadership with respect for its citizens, you have allowed yourselves to become the Party with bridges to nowhere, and we, the people, will pay for them.

When you lost your majority, you deluded yourselves into blaming the war in Iraq or your own constituency for being hard headed, never looking in the mirror and seeing the answer to your failures. The answer is simple. Your own voters and contributors became disaffected and your hubris and lack of interest in the very people whom you rely on for votes and money to keep you in power cost you dearly. Your power means little when you use it to defy the very tenets the GOP is supposed to stand for. Your actions, or lack thereof, fly in the face of every conservative who still believes in individual freedom, the right to pursue happiness, and the sanctity of this nation’s sovereignty. Even today, the Republican standard bearer campaigns on immigration reform. He also campaigns for solutions addressing global warming, a theory being
called into question every day, whose regulations and laws will give the government more and more power over the people. You, however remain silent. Afraid to take a stand, playing a 'prevent defense' which is bound to fail.

The Grand Old Party, it seems, is not so grand anymore. It has become lazy, comfortable even in defeat. While millions of us have looked to you for leadership and continuity, we have found betrayal and disillusionment.

Today, the Democrats make plans, under the guise of energy independence, to limit our mobility and ability to enjoy a thriving economy. They plan to punish the oil companies with windfall profit taxes which will drive up the cost of fuel ever higher. It will also limit those companies in oil exploration and drilling. More refineries? I don’t think so. Nuclear power? Are you kidding? You see, the Democrats waste good emotion on hating a substance which comes out of the ground. They hate even more that it fuels our successful nation. The fact that they hate clean energy like nuclear power or hydro-electric power is just one symptom of their loathing of American prosperity. The fact that it’s irrational doesn’t seem to matter. What does the GOP have to say about this? Nothing. If you are consistent, you will soon come up with a Democrat Lite plan.

You, the GOP, being nothing if not the “me too” Party, is ever so quietly climbing onto the left’s global warming bandwagon. Some suggestions to ‘save our planet’ include limiting the size of homes, central control of our thermostats and air conditioning, banning SUVs, and somehow, they’re including our diets and obesity in the climate ‘crisis’. Must be gas producing foods

To some, Party affiliation is a religion. Not to me. A political Party is a vehicle, a power base from which to launch the activism required to represent a value system and political ideology. Now, for you, GOP, if you want us to stay on your train, perhaps you might bring forth a few conservative lions, up and comers with a gung-ho outlook and an irresistible message, young people with a forward looking, conservative American appeal to our fundamental desire to be free and independent.

Dare I suggest “CHANGE?” Yes, change from the tired old paternal message of ‘the people pay, the politicians decide.’ It’s time for bold strokes, not shrinking into the background. The Democrats are on a fast train to hell. I’m not willing to stay on a slower train to the same place.

Priscilla

22 comments:

The Merry Widow said...

That's why I divorced the gop after 30 yrs., the idiot was unfaithful!
Good morning, G*D bless and Maranatha!

tmw

Anonymous said...

PRIS FOR PRESIDENT!!!

Semper Fi

Mike's America said...

It amazes me that the GOP doesn't do a better job of putting together a coherent national message for all candidates to run on as we did with the Contract For America in 1994.

Instead we have a fractitous party that is united on one or two points like National Security and basically disagreeing over everything else.

It looks like we will lose more House and Senate seats this time around, even if we hold the White House.

Instead of simply accepting that, I would hope we would FIGHT on a conservative platform.

I'd rather risk being rejected for expressing strong ideas than be rejected for expressing none at all.

Anonymous said...

Hi All,

tmw - They say it takes one year for every five years of marriage to recover. So, in six years you should be in a state of full recovery!


Thanks mustang.


Mike - My sentiments exactly. Where's another Newt, when we need one?

Pris

Z said...

Mike, who do you suggest 'fights'? US or the Republican wimps in congress now!? It's scary; all I see are people typing their fingers to the bone in indignation (something I've said way too much, sorry to repeat myself but it won't be the last time, I fear!) and doing VERY LITTLE ELSE to combat where our country's going!

TMW just wrote me that there was some murder in TX and the perp's been followed into a muslim neighborhood and our cops aren't following him IN! Do you GET what this means? Muslim safe house enclaves IN AMERICA?

Does ANYBODY BUT US SEE WHAT A TERRIBLE PROBLEM THIS IS? Imagine if our SOLDIERS IN IRAQ OR AFGHANISTAN hear THIS? Imagine how the dead soldiers' families feel when they hear this?

THIS IS INCREDIBLE!!!

Z said...

Mr. Z is telling me now that the German newspaper, Die Welt, has published a story today almost EXACTLY like Pris's here about THEIR CDU (Christian Democratic Union), the conservatives....There's an article by someone ranting that they're raising a generation of capitalism-haters in their schools....that the party's letting them down.
1. The party is deviating from Conservative principles because of the Left..giving in to the Left and entering into a mishmosh of not knowing WHAT the party stands for. (z; Sound familiar?)
2. The CDU doesn't seem to be aware of the school books now talking about the evils of capitalism. The article says you can't wonder why their kids hate capitalism when they've been so indoctrinated.

This was definitely not the case when my husband or my stepdaughter in Germany were in schools..this is in the last 15 years only.

They're realizing something happened around the time Kohl was out; the agenda went lefter and lefter, so to speak. Now they're saying "Gee, WHAT HAPPENED?" Except most aren't even rebelling and saying it has to stop. They're STILL giving in.

EXACTLY what's happening here~!
WE are exactly the same. Priscilla is right; though she was writing about America....I believe Priscilla has written about THE WEST.

THEIR left in Germany (based on comments to this article and the political stuff Mr. Z reads) is saying that's GREAT! It's not far left leaning ENOUGH! It's RIGHT to hate capitalism.

This is ALL MARXISM. SHAME the conservatives with "but the poor DESERVE this and that..." "But how CAN we expect people to support themselves?" etc etc
Best to put everything into the Left's hands; big government, Big Brother, ...

OH, Brother.......z

Anonymous said...

Hi Pris,
by the way, thanks for the kind words and thoughts on the other post!

Suffice to say that I don't happen to think that a year where we are at war in two theaters is the time to push for not supporting the one party who is at least MORE inclined to see to it that MY GUY and others will not be put in greater danger from a preciptous withdrawal or have to go back under tougher conditions to undo damage and lost effort due to such a surrender policy...it IS the overriding issue for me.
I am not 'married' to a party either, and for me, deciding not to support the only candidate who promises the MOST of what we would seek in an effort to 'change' the party IS tantamount to putting party above the nation..that's just my opinion.

I will vote for McCain. Not because I will agree with him on everything..but because I will agree with him on MORE things than I will the Dems. I feel that putting a desire to 'change' the party ABOVE the concerted effort during wartime to keep out those who WILL bring us the inevitable BAD changes that may cost thousands of more lives in the end, is precisely the wrong headed concern for party over nation that will insure the Dems win in November.

Do I agree with much of your sentiment and frustration? Yes. I don't think ANY of those issues TRUMP victory in war...because none of them will matter if we fail..not one of them. So, while I share much of the frustration, I see my vote as a vote AGAINST certain bad policies that we may NEVER recover from and a vote for stopping the advancement of said disasterous policies.

McCain will actually have LESS power as president on MOST of those things you are upset about anyway...PUSH for stronger Congressional delegates who WILL write the legislation that we want forwarded...a majority of Republicans in Congress is ALWAYS more powerful than one in the WH except with regards to the prosecution of the wars...so, I feel it necessary for the Nation, to make my vote COUNT AGAINST the Dems...write ins and party diversity now only serves to put a Dem in office..I can't in good conscience be a party to that.

In my view it is not the same as voting to 'keep things' in the party the same..it's a vote to keep our nation safe and to afford us the subsequent four years to work harder at a grassroots movement to change the party..I won't sacrifice security of the nation in the name of my own personal domestic issues..I can't.

I think all such speech that alludes to such serves the Dems and IS putting party and political ideology before the country...sorry.

If I know that my actions WILL bring about certain evils that might not ever be overcome, and I still take those actions because I can or because I don't like the particular candidate's stance on EVERY issue with regards to reflected changes in the party...uh, how is that NOT putting party over nation?

Pati

Z said...

We have to vote for him....dragging and screaming. And, trust me, I personally would never speak openly against McC like this around Democrats or centrists.

In public, we all have to be "rah rah mcCain!" I hope we are doing that.

Karen Townsend said...

Excellent post, Priscilla! We are definately on the same page.

I have to say I think McCain is the perfect candidate for this election, running against Obama. Yes, many times I have yelled at McCain through the television screen but he attracts tons of Independents, which will be essential for a win in November. Those claiming to sit this one out on 'principle' to let the party be 'cleansed' and start over, like the second coming of Reagan are delusional. This point in our history is far too dangerous for such self-indulgence.

I know there is little hope for anything but a Democrat led Congress. I refuse to hand over the White House without a fight. If we lose in November, we'll be in the wilderness for another 40 years and our agenda goes nowhere.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pati,
My article is a letter to the GOP. An attempt to rattle their cage. At the moment they are practically invisible, in line to lose big.

If they don't get their act together and recognize their failings how can they win? I don't see how conveying my dissatisfaction, and encouraging them to be bold in adhering to conservative positions, is a negative thing.

I am voting for McCain as I've said before, but, there are conservatives out there, who are so dissatisfied they will stay home. All I did was point out why.

They wouldn't have lost in '06 if they'd been true to their constituency.

The bottom line is, to be a winner you cannot play not to lose. You have to play to win, and that means to be on offense and boldly stand up for your principles.

As it is right now, they're not putting anything forward as a party. They're just going along to get along. It's a losing stance.

They still have time, let's hope they see the light before it's too late.


Karen, yes I agree. And thanks.


Pris

MathewK said...

Perhaps the GOP need to be shuffled off into the political wilderness and when they're scratching around in the dirt there, they might think of the people who voted for them long ago and may just remember why.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Amazing post, Pris!
The illigal immigrant issue gets my blood boiling every time. They just absolutely ignored us.

I feel like I belong to the party of wimps.

And the enemy knows it.

Anonymous said...

mk,
It's tempting but, we can't desert the Republicans. If the Dems get a filibuster proof majority, it's 'Katie bar the door!'.


Pinky, thanks.
I know how you feel. Me too. I'll be calling and e-mailing Republican reps. and reminding them to stand for the conservative principles that put them there in the first place.

Pris

Z said...

Karen, et al, doesn't Pris do a GREAT job!?

MK....your comment troubles me because it sounds like you're suggesting not voting! I'm afraid while the dopey GOP is "scratching around in the dirt" after losing in November (possibly because conservatives stayed home, ergo electing the Dem), we'll have a country we don't recognize...which will take YEARS, if it's possible, to rebuild. I keep thinking about the SCOTUS and how Ginsberg, etc., haven't retired...because they probably are waiting for a lefty pres to completely ruin this country!!

Pinky..your remark about 'the enemy' is positively scary.

I'm reading that the European leaders, even the new conservatives, are saying they think Obama would be a good guy to deal with, etc etc. Sure! The European English-speaking press is led by THE INTERNATIONAL HERALD TRIBUNE...WHOLLY OWNED by (guess who?) THE NEW YORK TIMES!
They hear all the 'hate America first' stuff in Europe 9 hours before WE do..!! They're loving Obama because they're hearing GOOD STUFF!

I AM SO SICK OF OUR MEDIA and I AM FEELING SO IMPOTENT. type type type.............how's THAT help?

Anonymous said...

My bad Pris...
Didn't catch the distinction..and I DO agree with the assessment.

Did you see that article way back when Libby was found guilty, by Ann Coulter? She talked about the Republicans who don't 'stand up' for their people, but leave them swinging all of the time, and I believe she also addressed how they don't stand up, in general, to assertions they are racists etc as well. That's been going on SO long, and YES, it does drive me insane!

Also, last night on H&C Rick and Bubba apparently have put out a book and declared that they are running jointly for the office. They said they got 4% of the vote in Oregon. They represent those conservatives you speak of...and I guess THAT played into my reading of your post, because they ARE being vocal about their displeasure and actually said they think McCain's the worst of the three! Yep.

AND, I have a friend in WA who went to the WA convention...she said the Ron Paulies are so rude and aggressive and 'in your face' that they interrupt everyone else and make so much racket and are just basically disrespectful alround except for to Paul. Well, she said they make NO BONES about NOT BEING REPUBLICAN but just USING it as a PLATFORM ...she said it ruined her entire 'first' experience at the convention, but more importantly she is CONCERNED about the threat to dividing the party and HANDING the election over to the DEMS...Obama...

anyway, I guess all of those 'factored' into my misreading your post. I do agree that the party had better get back to its basics AND had better do it soon. I've been saying for a long time that it's time for conservatives, Republicans, and 'libertarian leaning republicans' like me to get OUT OF OUR comfort zone and start being a little MORE activist TOO.

Sorry about the misreading of the post...: ( my bad.

Pati

Anonymous said...

Z,
Sure the European leaders love Obama, they figure he'd be putty in their hands.

I guess you've heard he's all for a poverty tax. Yep, he wants us to pay the freight for world poverty.


Pati, Don't fret, no harm done. You have a lot on your plate. I understand that.
Besides, let's face it, we're all a bit on edge these days.

Pris

Anonymous said...

WOW! Priscilla that was one POWERFUL letter! I resigned my position at the county Republican Executive Committee around 2 weeks ago out of sheer disgust with the party.

The local GOPers are a very conservative lot, but the few local candidates are moderates who I found myself in disagreement with regularly. As Republicans we would have been required to HELP these RINOS get elected! I WANT THIS INFECTION STOPPED NOW!!!!! WTF is going on!? I hate to sound paranoid, but at all levels it seems like the GOP is pushing RINOS. I'm NOT going to help them.

Morgan

Z said...

Morgan, thank goodness for phones that tell you who's calling. I haven't answered a POL CALL in weeks and weeks. And I won't..the poor caller doesn't need to hear ME again "Tell them when they return to being real Republicans, I might send more money again"

Pati...YOU WIN THE AWARD for mentioning RICK AND BUBBA!

RICK AND BUBBA FOR PRESIDENT. (If I knew how to BOLD here, I would! Gotta ask Elbro!)

anyway; I swear...if they were running and I thought they had a snowball's chance in hell, I WOULD VOTE FOR THEM!! They just get it SO RIGHT!

Morgan; When the Rep Party there comes crawling to you, GO BACK! I know you're angry, but they need your voice of reason!!!

Z said...

RICK AND BUBBA FOR PRESIDENT!

(guess who just got an email from Elbro!) :-)
let's see if the BOLD worked!

Anonymous said...

Hi Morgan,
Thanks. It's always good seeing you here. I know you get a lot of New York transplants there. Could that explain the Rino problem?

I find that blue state republicans are more liberal as a rule.
It must be an infectious disease or osmosis at play. Ha, Ha.

I see why you left, but, your activist nature is important. Z's right, they'll want you back in due time, I'm sure.

Who says conservatives have all the money, huh? Your candidates must be getting backing from somewhere.

The GOP just doesn't get it Morgan.
They obviously think this is the winning strategy. As usual, strategy trumps principles. Why should people vote Democrat lite, when they can vote for the real thing?

Pris

Z said...

Actually, Priscilla, did you see the stats that more Dems make big money than do Reps? yup.
And that Reps give more in charitable spending.
Yup, again.

I think it has something to do with the difference of Bush having an ecological house but makes absolutely NO fanfare and Gore who doesn't have one, he has a carbon guzzling house, yet talks it up that he's a big ecologist.

SO typical, and our media plays right along with the lies.

Anonymous said...

Z,
Yes I have seen those stats. It's true in my own extended family as well. My liberal relatives who are quite wealthy, use every loophole known to man to avoid taxes.

Yet there's not an entitlement program they don't support. They are all for rent control to help the 'poor', but when two of them bought income property, they were adamant about buying in a non-rent control area.

I haven't asked them, but I know they're for Obama. To show how tolerant and un-biased they are.

They are very self-satisfied, self-righteous people. Why, they're downright superior. Just ask them! Ha, Ha.

Pris