Friday, February 29, 2008

"Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a (Muslim) match..."


Front Page Magazine has an article exposing Islam, like the titles listed below, at least once a day.

Islam's Universal Blasphemy FatwaThe Holy Land's Christian TargetsA Small Victory Over Shari'aJihad and Jew-HatredHorror Under the HijabCAIR's Spin GuideSaudis Give Big to U.S. Colleges to Fund Islamic Studies .......

That’s fine. It’s a conservative site and a lot of people there are amazing patriots of Jewish or Christian faith, and most of the people there see a problem fitting Islam into the American landscape. There's one Muslim at FPM who posts every day, he calls himself Abdullah and he's an American ex Navy vet who fights his good Muslim fight reminding FPM readers that it's a peaceful religion, that CAIR means no harm, that Hamas isn't a terror group. Get the picture? In spite of him, suffice it to say that FPM is a site which highlights a lot more ‘beware of Islam’ articles than it publishes articles that say anything resembling ‘Muslims were only kidding on 9/11’.

Here’s the rub; FPM has only recently started cluttering itself up with pop up ads on articles…their readership has gone down something near 30% lately and they’re hurting for cash, apparently. SO, they’ve got a lot more advertisting now and one ad caught my eye.

FPM has a fairly large ad for a muslim dating service off to the side of some of the articles now…a beautiful, sweet faced woman in headscarf and a quite handsome, kind looking young man with a knit cap. “singlemuslim.com”, if you’re interested.

Imagine the conversation over at the advertising department of ‘singlemuslim’.

“I know! Let’s advertise at that site that can’t stand muslims…that’s the ticket”

Or might it be

“Look, they seem to hate us, but we have the money and they’ll have to take it, that'll show 'em..” sort of like what the Saudis who just bought the Chelsea Marketplace development in London might have said, or the other huge development they bought in England a month ago, or what Saudis said when they bought into FOX, ..well, we could all go on listing these purchases, right?

Deep pockets to have us in their pockets, huh? I just couldn’t help but see a metaphor here…..how much will we sell because we need the money and they have it? Any end to it?

Well, heck, maybe there's nothing sinister going on here and this dating sevice just figured we had the perfect demographics at FPM.......one muslim. Maybe it pays? Maybe I’m just reading more into this than I ought, right?

Hopefully?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nah, it's the latest in FBI Honeytraps...

Z said...

FJ..what do you mean? Please tell me..thanks.z

Gayle said...

I'd like to know what Farmer John means too, Z. It's been a long day and perhaps I'm a bit dense!

I don't think I'll be visiting any site that advertises a Muslim dating service and no, I don't think your reading more into it than you ought to.

Z said...

Hi,gayle...great to see you!
come on, FJ..GIVE!

Anonymous said...

A honeytrap or honeypot...

geee, am I the only one who used to read spy novels???

Anonymous said...

Well, the first thing I thought of was....perhaps a sting, or ...they are going to do a slow entrance ( no puns intended ) to subvert those nasty little conservative right winger types.

Remember the movie Braveheart?
Prima Nacta..first night...anyone?


wvdottr

Anonymous said...

I would like to think there's some reason, (irony?), other than business, but I can't think of one except that the position of FPM really is that there are "moderate" muslims.

Is it possible that political correctness reigns so supreme that even FPM has fallen prey? Say it isn't so.

Would any patriotic concern have advertised on behalf of the Nazis or Tojo during WWII? I don't think so.

Or, is it good for the magazine to create controversy in order to attract attention? Seems to me for some, FPM is already controversial, and the only ones who are taken aback by that ad are regular posters like Z,or me.

Unfortuanately, I have concluded the answer is business. If I'm right, I find it unacceptable during this time of war. Some things don't have a price. At least not in my book.

Pris
PS. dottr, I love Braveheart!

Anonymous said...

Actually, I suspect the ads are actually payback for what David Horowicz did a few years back... which was to place ads in all those liberal campus newspapers across the nation arguing against reparations for slavery... and then report on those colleges that "refused" to accept the ads.

If David argues for free speech on campus, refusing an ad like the one at FPM would reek of hypocrisy and discredit David's argument.

elmers brother said...

those ads are made based on keywords used in the post...like the adbrites at my site...

it finds keywords then finds an ad that most closely matches those keywords and that's what is placed on the page

it's just good ol' mix of technology and capitalism

Anonymous said...

So, I don't see your dilemma Z...there's one muslim and it's called 'singlemuslim'...perhaps the ad company, simply misread or misunderstood the product. LOL

Pati

Z said...

Well, Elbro, if MUSLIM or ISLAM is the word that attracted the ad, then I can see THOUSANDS more muslims advertising MUSLIM stuff at FPM, that is FOR SURE! I'd just think they'd research how the muslims are presented...or, somebody goofed, huh!? I've never SEEN an article real favorable towards islam there. You make an excellent point, I didn't know that, but I hope that if some day I want an Armenian dessert advertised, my ad firm doesn't pick a Turkish newspaper in which to do it! (Smile)


FJ....that's an interesting point. I suppose ANY paper has to accept their ads or they can make a stink about RACISM or BIGOTRY...still, they're going to get NO business from FPM! The resident muslim there is married.

I just thought of another way they can get business; When there's a particularly anti muslim article, suddenly new screen names swarm around that day sticking up for islam. Maybe those islamists lurking there for the slightest "over the line" statement with which to condemn FPM, or the CAIR plants many are sure are there to post in defense of islam, are single?!!!

Z said...

NW...THAT is VERY funny!

elmers brother said...

the ads don't look for context

if the word "Republican" shows up at this site for example you're more likely going to get a negative ad selling T-shirts bashing GWB

it's not quite that smart

nanc said...

z - our son has been researching colleges and laptops in the last week and it seems those are the ads of the week on my p.c. - i saw those at fpm also the other day. it's like the subliminal messages of the fifties and sixties - seems to me they made it against the law then and need to do something about it now.

fpm uses and advertising cookie so that's what anybody gets when they visit there.