Thursday, December 11, 2008

FOOTBALL FOOD.....it can't ALL be pizza!


I am not a football fan. I am a basketball fan. BUT, I'm seeing an awful lot of football blogging and figured the thing I DO know about is food....so, here's some great football watching food! (Thanks, Morgan, for your WINGS recipe!)

Anybody got a quick/easy recipe for football watching?..let's have them!

EASY CHILI RELLENO CASSEROLE....so easy and SO good!

1 lb. Jack cheese,
1 lb. cheddar cheddar grated
2 small cans diced green chilies (mild, unless you can up it)
4 eggs
2 1/2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup flour
salt, pepper. paprika

Mix eggs, milk, flour , salt and pepper
layer both cheeses, chiles, and pour some milk over layer
Repeat this , finish with cheese on top (no chile's on top layer)
Sprinkle with paprika on top.

Cook 40 minutes @ 350 degrees..... May be made ahead, cook for
25 minutes, refrigerate and finish cooking for 15-20 minutes to serve.
(stick knife in and wait until it comes out clean)

Serve with salsa and sour cream if desired. Enjoy !!!


Morgan's Miraculous Hot Wings! (political statements are his, too, but they are shared by the blog owner!!)

Prepare the Sauce in a medium size glass bowl:

6 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. Pace medium salsa or any good salsa, medium heat is best
1/2 cup ketchup (Hunt's, not the commie stuff!!)

Combine ingredients in bowl and heat in microwave for 45 seconds. Stir well. It's important not to overheat if using butter, just warm it up.

ADD:

2 tsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 1/2 tblsp. hot sauce (Tobasco)
1 tblsp. white vinegar

Stir everything well and heat again for 30-40 seconds in the microwave. Taste the sauce. If it's too hot, add a little bit of garlic, ketchup, and butter. Just a little. If it's not hot enough, add a little Cayenne and hot sauce.

Let's prepare the wings!

Thaw chicken wings and dry excess water (important if frying in oil)
-don't buy Tyson chicken, they gave millions to the Clintons

deep fry in peanut oil (tastiest)
OR
bake wings in the oven on non-stick pan

*OPTIONAL: thinly coat cooked wings with sauce and cook at 450 degrees for 7 minutes..or up to 15 minutes, till they’re a bit crispy.

*heavily slop the sauce on the wings and enjoy!

Here's another special dish from MORGAN:

HOME FRIES and SPECIAL DIP!

1. Cut potatoes in long strips, fry them, and drain on paper towels.

2. Start with half a bowl of Hellman's mayo, add warm water to make the consistancy just a little thinner. Be careful with that.

3. Liberally add curry powder until you get a strong curry flavor. Mix it up. Add 1/2 tsp. garlic powder and 1/2-1 tsp. of hot sauce! Mix it up and add hot sauce to taste. That's the unique flavor to this sauce and is a PERFECT addition. I hope you enjoy it!


The BEST EASY (ever) ENCHILADA CASSEROLE for at least 12 extremely hungry people

Preheat oven to 350


1 chopped onion
1 cup chopped black olives
2- 28 oz can of La Victoria enchilada sauce -green mild
About 30 corn tortillas
3 bags blend grated cheese-it say Mexican blend-on bag
2 precooked whole chickens (take off skin and bones, shred)
Large lasagna pan (or 2- 9x12 Pyrexes)

(The bigger the pan, the more you need of everything...you can't really do anything wrong with this recipe)

Soften tortillas by frying them lightly in oil...till they're limp, no more. Drain on paper towels

Put a layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom of pan
Cover bottom with tortillas, overlapping a little
Put another layer of enchilada sauce
Light layer of chicken..just scatter it evenly
Sprinkle olives, onions, cheese evenly

More tortillas, slightly overlapping
Layer of enchilada sauce
Chicken, olives, onions and cheese
repeat until you run out space
Finish with cheese on top....Go for it!
Cover with foil
Place in oven for 1 hour....

If you find you went a little too little on the sauce, warm it up and pour on top when you're serving the enchiladas..mmmm!!

HAVE FUN! Go RAMS! ("They're not in LA anymore? Oh, never mind")

BEER goes very well with all of the above!

Go, Lakers!

z

THANKS, MORGAN!!

32 comments:

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

Hey, do you want the Rams back?

We brought them here because someone had told us they were an NFL football team.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Z! Nanette and I are going to use BOTH of those recipes. Carmen loves to cook too, and she'll help us make them. I LOVE good caseroles.

Morgan

Anonymous said...

Beamish they gott too old at the skill positions man.

Morgan

Pat Jenkins said...

go rams? you got ucla and usc right in the backyard z..


remember kobe you ain't never won a championship without me... yours truly shaq fu.

Anonymous said...

I think we'll make the enchiladas tonight!

Morgan

Anonymous said...

It can't be all pizza!

Of course not; you gotta have beer.

Z said...

Beamish, No, we don't want them back.....We're just glad you bought the hype! (Smile)

Morgan! I mis-dated this post and it posted earlier than I'd planned...would have let you know it was up, otherwise..I'm glad you saw it.

That casserole makes a LOT....If you use a simple 9 x 12 Pyrex, you'll have leftover ingredients, but what the heck....it's leftover chicken and cheese and tortillas....how bad can THAT be? Just experiment with amounts...you can't go wrong! Let me know!

Pat.."Go Rams" was a joke. And yes, you have no idea how "in your backyard" you are about UCLA and me!

Kobe does FINE..81 points in one game is, I believe, better than Shaq....ya, no championships, but Western Conference has been won.
Kobe's magnificent.....I'm okay with that!
BUT, the DREAM GUYS were who I listened to with Dad when I was (very!!) little: none of whose names I remember right now, but I mean just leading to and during CHamberlain's times.....what players! Goodrich, West...those guys.

Gayle said...

We aren't football fans here either, hon. My husband doesn't watch the games and I consider myself a very lucky woman.

A few years ago it hit the news that a man shot his wife when she changed the channel on him while he was watching a game. People do get a bit radical about football, don't they?

I'll copy and save a couple of those recipes though. Thanks! :)

Ducky's here said...

How about a miraculous heart stent to go with this menu?

Milepost 154 said...

Ducky, apparently you'd be THE downer at ANY party.

BZ

Anonymous said...

Ducky has a recipe for a fabulous air casserole with a marvelous nothing sauce. ;-)

just playin', Ducky.

My favorite football food is nachos with refried beans, cheddar cheese, sour cream, and LOTS of jalepenos!

...Killians Irish Red to go with.

elmers brother said...

the enchilada recipe is delicious...trust me, Z made me some.

Z said...

Ducky...you've GOT to lighten up SOMETIMES..and I think a football game every Sunday's a good time to do that, don't you?!!
Generally, you're right..that's SOME bunch of BAD STUFF for the arteries...

Pinky....MMMMM LOVE melty gooey cheesey nachos!

Elbro...that is THE cutest comment I ever had at my site...But I know guys don't like CUTE, so let me just say THANKS...and how ABOUT those STeelers!!!!! HEH

elmers brother said...

and those Lakers!

Z said...

we won, Elbro.

WE WON ...!! yessssssssssssss!! (but it WAS close!)

Frasypoo said...

Not a football fan but a big fan of food,any food !
I usually go with the Hooters wing sauce

Anonymous said...

Okay we're going to make the enchiladas tomorrow. I ran out of time with work and all. It looks good!
Pinky those nachos look FANTASTIC! I think I'll try them with some Killians or Yeungling Black and Tan.
I LOVE FOOD! It's second only to...



Football! :-)

Morgan

Anonymous said...

Frasypoo to hell with Hooters sauce! You gotta try mine! You WON'T regret it.

Morgan

Z said...

Morgan! Thanks for letting me know you didn't make it today..I've beeen nervously checking to make sure all went well!!!!

Law and Order Teacher said...

I used to love food like this. But, alas, I have to watch what I eat now. Damn, diabetes. Oh well, I can dream of the good old days, right? I still wash down my salads with an occassional beer. Ah, simple pleasures.

Brooke said...

OMGosh, I think I put on a few just READING that. MMMMMMMM!!!!

What is this basketball of which you speak? Are there helmets and tackling involved at all?

;)

Z said...

aha, Brooke..I take it YOU are a FOOTBALL FAN!!

L&0: isn't it rare that today's HS kids understand satire? I mean, even the subjects on which you'd satire.

I need a blog from you reassuring us ALL American kids are not pitifully stupid and lazy.

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

I opsted this recipe on AOW's blog at Thanksgiving season 2007.

But it's good for any snacking / partying / football-watching thingamajig shin dig whatsit.

Beamish's Nuts and Bolts Party Mix
(aka Xtreme Chex Mix)

"Great for snacking on during the football games."

Whut you need:

2 days before Thanksgiving [or 2 days before gameday]

1 box of Corn Chex cereal
1 box of Wheat Chex cereal
1 box of Cheerios cereal
1 bag of pretzel sticks
2 cans of mixed nuts
butter
Worchestershire sauce
Lawry's season salt
A big ol' broiling pan and an oven
large sealable containers (I use those big metal holiday popcorn cans)


Melt the butter and add Worchestershire sauce and the Lawry's season salt to taste. My ratio is 1 stick butter : 3 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce : 4 teaspoons season salt, but my broiling pan is small so I have to cook in batches.

Dump all the dry cereals, pretzels, and nuts into a paper bag, and shake them up good to mix them all together. Fill your broiling pan up with this collage of snackitude (leave yourself room to stir the contents while cooking). Pour the butter / Worchestershire season glaze over the top and stir it in good.

Let it baste in the oven (around 350 degrees) until you can tell it's done. Put into the containers, and keep everyone out of it for 2 days.

By some magical process known only to God and a few quantum physicists, this Chex mix recipe tastes good out right out of the oven, but exponentially better 2 days later. Don't let the temptation overwhelm you.

Wait for it. It's good.


Real good with beer, too.

David Wyatt said...

Yum! Thank you Z for posting these, especially since you aren't a fan. I can now enjoy some of these treats while I'm watching my Bengals go down to disgraceful defeat again!

Brooke said...

Aw, yeah!

Our Bengals are going 1-12-1 come tomorrow!

David Wyatt said...

Brooke,

No doubt! Are you a Bengals fan too? We must be a mighty scarce entity right about now!

Law and Order Teacher said...

Great, there are still some of us Bengals fans out there. At least we can't be accused of being bandwagon jumpers. I suffered with them in their two Super Bowl losses, but at least they got there. Being a Bengals fan is a special form of hell.

Brooke said...

LOL! It's football purgatory!

I'm a fan. Win or loose, I just love to watch them. Of course with it being the latter for most of my child and adult life, watching the Bengals tends to be more of a slapstick football comedy session...

:)

David Wyatt said...

Hot dog! Well, at least there are some more of us out there! Hey! we're actually WINNING right now, but I'm sure we;ll find some way to lose before it's all over!

Brooke, that's good! "Slapstick comedy football! I love slapstick, too!

Brooke said...

OMGosh.

They won.

They won. No way.

Z said...

Brooke!! Stick around geeeeZ, maybe you'll take you to the championships!? Heh!
Congratulations!

The bummer is I posted this FOOTBALL FOOD post to get away from football, and look what it invited!? FOOTBALL TALK! Well, I can take it!! :-)

have fun, everyone.

Congratulations to the TEAM (which team? Bengals?)

David Wyatt said...

Yeeeeeeeee-hawwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!

20-13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!