Monday, April 7, 2008

Another way to fight global warming!


Who said Global Warming was FAIR, right? Get a load of this wonderful and very true exchange Priscilla wrote me about yesterday, shortly after it happened:

I had some fun this morning. We got a mailer from the Edison Co. informing us that we could apply for a consumer discount of up to $200.00 for the summer for agreeing to allow them to cut air conditioner use for up to 6 hours during peak hours, which would contribute to preventing global warming.

So, I called the Edison Co. and said I was applying for our $200.00 discount for the summer. He said "Yes ma'am…".

I told him we don't have air conditioning, and that I figured that qualified us for the discount. "------- (silence)".

Then, "Uh ma'am, you have to have air conditioning to qualify". Me, "Why?" Him, "Well ma'am let me apologize".

Me, "If we're contributing to the global warming prevention program by not having air conditioning, it's not fair if we don't get the same break that people with air conditioning get".

Him, "I understand what you’re saying, Mrs. Jones, I don't have air conditioning, either".

Me, "Well, you should get the same discount too".

Him, "I'm sorry ma'am, we can't give you a discount if you don't have an air conditioner'.

Me, "Maybe we should get a used air conditioner, just to get the discount". Him, "---------(silence").

Finally I said, "OK, I know you can't do anything about this, but, you see how unfair it is, don't you?" Him, "Yes I do, I'm in the same boat you are".

Me, "Please put this in your suggestion box. You do know how bogus all this is, don't you?" No answer. Me, "Thank you for being so nice, and I hope the Edison Co. will take my situation under consideration". Him, "Yes ma'am, Thank you, Mrs. Jones, have a good day
".

Priscilla’s right, isn’t she? Of course, I’d have said “put this in your suggestion box and SMOKE IT!” but, that’s just me! She doesn’t have air conditioning, so she’s contributing to preventing global warming, right? Why shouldn’t she get a check? And leave it to Priscilla to make this call! I wish I had it on tape!

By the way…$200 for a summer of not having cooling for 6 peak, hot as hades, hours a day? WHAT? SOME deal, huh?

16 comments:

Freedomnow said...

I've always thought that the man-made global warming myth was harmless because its good to conserve energy and resources.

These dayz I'm not so sure.

The media propaganda machine is locked in groupthink and it never seemed that important when they were slandering Israel. Now that the U.S. is at war with terrorists it brings home the point of how their self-loathing bias and sensationalism needs to be challenged.

The Merry Widow said...

I belong to a program with my electric company, that cuts the ac for 15 mins. at a time during peak times. That doesn't hurt so badly...of course here in Florida, cutting ac for 6 hrs. in the middle of the day can cause MORE electrical usage to get your house temp. back down below 90 degrees! LOL!
Good morning, G*D bless and Maranatha!

tmw
BTW-The logic presented, in the call, probably will confuse the touchy-feely feel-good types who came up with this program!

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

I would have turned on the interrogation lamp.

"How do you know when I have my air conditioner on or off?"

"If I leave my air conditioner off for 5 hours and 59 minutes a day, will that one minute discrepancy jeopardize my $200 credit?"

"If I leave my air conditioner off for 12 hours a day can I get $400?"

"What if I turn my air conditioner off for 15 minutes every 45 minutes so that in total my air conditioner is off for 6 hours every day?"

nanc said...

BWAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA!

priceless - she could be related to me.

way to leave them dumberfounded, pris!

*8]

elmers brother said...

this wouldn't work where I live

Brooke said...

What a bunch of utter propagandist nonsense global warming is!

Anonymous said...

I keep my house air-conditioning at 80º in hot weather and my heating system at 70º in cooler weather. This keeps my particular house comfortable–––for ME–––at all times.

I'M the one who pays the bill. I'M the one who pays to keep the equipment maintained, and I'M the one who has to pay to replace it, if it breaks down, ergo I should be the one who decides how hot or cold MY place should be at any given time.

I say to HELL with "Central Control" of ANYTHING, but ESPECIALLY anything that pertains to the way we live our PRIVATE lives, when we PAY our OWN way.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Irately yours,

~ FreeThinke

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great deal for all the Florida snowbirds who return to New York for the summer...

Anonymous said...

Hi All,
Beamish,
They install a device on your AC, thereby controlling when they turn it off and on. Big Brother never sleeps.

I love your questions. You would definitely have to make a call!



MW, They would turn it off and on up to 15 times during the 6 hrs. Now, Isn't that special?



Nanc,
Yes, it was fun. I actually felt sorry for the poor guy I talked to. And yes, he was dumbfounded.



Maybe we should get a room air conditioner (cheaper). But before I would do that, I'd have to call and ask, "if it's already off when they flip the off switch, will it still count"?
How much you wanna bet the answer would be "------(silence)", then, "no maam". Ha, Ha.


Pris

elmers brother said...

can I get $200 if I just quit drinking milk?

(I'm lactose intolerant)

Z said...

FJ...fantastic idea for those not actually IN Fla for the summer. good point! Those peak hours won't be quite so balmy, though New York, is no place I like to be in the summer, either!

FT: so right. YOUR house, YOUR costs...YOU will pay what you incur. Sad the whole world doesn't see it that way!!

TMW: the logic is so over these guys' heads it's laughable...except Pris told me she got the impression this guy was on her side about global warming...'....silence!' (in case this call's being recorded for quality assurance! And MAYBE ALGORE's on one line!?)

Beamish; great logic. Where were you while Petreus and Crocker were being grilled today? I wish you could have turned some of those nasty questions around like this and extrapolated on them and played with that $&*$#^ T Kennedy's peanut sized brain for a few minutes. Scum. Sorry, I know he's a human being and we shouldn't call anyone scum, but.....

Elbro: If your lactose intolerance causes problems and you're on state assistance, wouldn't you think your case would absolutely warrant exactly that? "I'm NOT drinking milk and so I'm NOT needing medical care...therefore....."

i think so.

Gotta say I just couldn't get over Pris's conversation when she emailed it to me and I'm glad you people are appreciating her, as nanc says "Dumberfounding" the dopes, too!

I'd like to hear just ONE Beamish conversation with a civil servant some time .... love it.

Anonymous said...

Oh Z! PLEASE don't apologize for calling Teddy K. "Scum." In truth he's a ONE-MAN TOXIC WASTE DUMP.

Papa Frank said...

Global warming is the same thing as the pet rock or the flea circus. What is the difference anyway if they give you $200 but continue to raise the price of utilities? In the last 3 months they have raised nearly all of my utilities. They raised our trash service by $7. They put a $35 flat rate additional charge on our gas regardless of use. They raised our water by 6% and our sewer by 20%.

Z said...

Frank Family....right. They're raising the rates so they can afford to pay the rebates.
ARGH!!

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

Pris,

They install a device on your AC, thereby controlling when they turn it off and on.

Please tell me they do this at gunpoint.

Any reason why you can't bypass the kill switch device with a hammer?

If everyone in your neighbor disabled these kill switches with hammers every time they're installed, eventually they'll get tired of paying people to re-install them.

Then again, you live in California, so it may take a few whacks with the hammer to get it to sink in. ;P

Z,

I caught the Kennedy "grilling" of Gen. Petraeus on my way out the door for work. I thought Petraeus' answer was rather diplomatically concise, considering Kennedy's question once unloaded was essentially a neon sign proclaiming "Ted Kennedy is a moron with absolutely no clue what a clue about counter-insurgency even looks like much less how to find one."

Anonymous said...

Hi Beamish,
They only install the device if you apply for the discount.


No doubt the guns come later, when the device is built into the AC. (Just a guess, you understand.)

As you imply, anything a man can build, a man can disassemble.

Pris