Sunday, April 27, 2008

Levity...we all need it! Happy Sunday!


THE CAT WHO BARKED

She seemed normal, the cat
who moved to our house
She was very polite
and hushed as a mouse

But one day she barked
sure as Fido next door,
and sweet as she was,
all the others were sore!

They were meowers, you see,
like regular cats,
When they heard Maria,
they dropped her like that

“A BARK!” grumped old Lily,
“She’s not one of US,
she’d better start meowing,
or she’s on the next bus!”

But, Maria was special
in all kinds of ways,
she’d hum them to sleep
and sneak food to the strays

who said “We think she’s great!”
to Lily and Art
“Be nice to her, Casey,
she has a good heart.”

Still, she just couldn’t meow
Then she heard “You’re a RAT!”
And that hurt her feelings
like it would any cat.

So she practiced and practiced
way up in our tree
As high in the branches
as one cat can be.

“Meow-BARK” tried Maria
“Beow-MARK” she worked hard
Then she FINALLY did it
and caught them off guard

MEOW” they all heard
from the top of the tree
Then louder and louder!
MEOW! LOOK AT ME!”

“That’s Maria!” yelled Art
“And she’s meowing away,
how she finally learned,
well, I just couldn’t say.”

She meowed from then on,
but still barked just a bit,
And then she taught Lily,
who became quite a hit!!

Soon they all barked and meowed
and they all understood…
It isn’t a language
that makes a friend... ‘good’.



12 comments:

Karen Townsend said...

I really enjoyed this! Happy Sunday to you.

Z said...

Thank you so much, Karen! HOt here, but a good day. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

John said...

I liked it too, Z. Happy Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great poem! Have a wonderful Sunday.

Z said...

well, you're all very kind. I wrote it ages ago and you can see what happened with it. I'd hoped to interest a publisher in it as a children's book, but barely sent it out. I still think it's fun and thought I'd share it.

Thanks! xx Z

Anonymous said...

That's darling, Z. If you had found an illustrator who could do it justice, you would have found a publisher for sure. KEEP TRYING, and write MORE.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

FreeThinke

Anonymous said...

PS: I'm glad she continued to bark. Harmony is great, but not at the complete expense of individuality.

I like your suggestion that harmony and individuality ARE compatible, if we take the trouble to look more deeply into one another and get past mere superficiality.

It's a SWEET poem.

By the way, it is pronounced Muh-RYE-uh or Muh-REE-yuh?

I found myself wanting to say the former, if only because Maria is a CAT.

~ FreeThinke

Anonymous said...

I loved this verse. And being the co-inhabitant of cat people, it seemed very apt .

Also have dogs in the house, so especially good to read.
WVdottr

Z said...

Thanks, FT and WVDottr! Yes, FT, I sent it to two publishers....and, somehow, it just isn't getting published in my computer file!
One thing they tell you (and I've studied writing for kids) is NEVER turn in the words WITH the pictures. If they don't like one or the other, the whole enchilada's scrapped. They find the artists.
I wrote it with the MarEEa pronunciation in mind...no particular reason.

Oh, well......I"ve moved on from children's writing but SURE am flattered that a writer like you enjoyed it...

And thanks WV....you know how animals are more than most of the people i know, that's for sure!

nanc said...

my clawedy talks - yesterday he said, "nowwwwwwwww" i said, "when?" and he responded, "nowwwwwww!" so i decided it was a very good time to check his food and water...

>^00^< raerffffffffffft!

Anonymous said...

Z,
Your poem is simply charming. I love it.

The multi-talented Z strikes again! So much to do, so little time.

Thanks Z, a lovely touch in times of trouble.

Pris

Z said...

Pris, I appreciate that....I wrote it about 15 yrs ago and I was looking through some FAR more somber and 'adult' poetry and found it and decided to post it
(the last time, I fear..!)

I will be posting some 'real poetry' in a few days, I think. why not? This is the place, right!?
Thanks SO much. z