Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Ol' THREE VOTE Z...at it again!




We here in California voted for judges and State Controller today. I was just a little worried to see how many voters there were at 7:00 pm. A bit too many for my taste because all I heard was "Democrat" as people approached the tables or the booths. Is that a sign of things to come? We're only voting for judges, but are people so angry, do they want CHANGE so badly, they just decided to vote, period?

Stick with me here, I'm still laughing at what happened just now:
A friend in my condo building had called to talk some condo board business just as Mr. and Mrs. Z were starting to eat their dinner so I called her back when we were finished and said "Come walk with me to the precinct and we can talk about the building stuff ..." Off we went.
We approached the high school nearby, where we vote, and an elderly woman in a big ol' white Cadillac stopped her car and waved us to the window..."Isn't the voting place nearby here somewhere?" I said "Yes, see that big tree down there? You'll see a flag there and you go in that door." She waved thanks and I yelled in at her "Are you voting REPUBLICAN?" She nodded her head "YES" and waved again and we continued walking, Liana and I, smiling. Well, it just made me feel better, ya know?
As we got to the door, I turned to find the old lady and saw she was having a heck of a time finding a parking place with that long car. She tried pulling in and kept pulling out again at spots way down the street and I asked a guy at his SUV right in front of the door if he was leaving. He said he wasn't but that there was a parking lot just up the street a little. SO, there was Z waving to the old lady to point her in the direction, her being Republican, dontcha know!
Liana hadn't brought her sample ballot and hadn't even given voting a thought because she has little interest in politics and always asks me who I'm voting for and that's how she votes (actually her AND her Hungarian born husband!)..so I told her I'd give her my sample ballot after I got out. And in I went.
Suddenly, instead of the elderly or "slightly off" (sorry, but it's true) people who've worked the the voting precinct the last 25 years, ALL (let me repeat that) ALL the precinct workers now look like Jimmy Buffet. Ya, cool...hip precinct workers (don't you find that odd?).......the kind who, 4 years ago when I complained that someone not registered in the book was able to vote, said "Hey, you gonna deny a vote?" I said "If they're not registered I am." But, I digress. I walked in, I showed them my name and address typed on my sample ballot and they said "Are you STILL REPUBLICAN?" I rose to every inch of my 5'9" frame and said "YES, I AM." (it's tough here in LA, TRUST me!)
I voted. An older guy working another table said "Thanks for voting!" And I said "Thanks for manning the precinct!" I walked past the Jimmy Buffet types and thanked them, too, after which they said "And THANKS FOR VOTING!"

"Ya, I'LL BET!!" I said sarcastically but smiling as I left. I then passed the baton to Liana who was waiting outside! Just then, the elderly Cadillac driving Republican was approaching.....(she walked slowly, she had to have been 85). "I don't know why I came," she said to us..."I don't even have my sample ballot!" Now...could YOU have resisted? Liana took my ballot in to vote and I told Jean (we'd introduced ourselves by now) that, if she wanted, she could have it after Liana came out! I told her to just vote where I'd slashed through the little circle. We chatted about what a disaster Obama will be and how important the Supreme Court appointments were, and then out came Liana. She handed the ballot to Jean and Jean thanked me, looking pleased as punch, and strolled in to do her patriotic duty, MY ballot in hand! I told her my name was on the ballot and I was in the telephone book if she had any questions before the election. (I guess you could call THAT 'working the precinct' too, huh?)

I got 3 votes tonight! "You could stand out there for a whlie and get even more votes" Liana laughed.
Ya, if I could find one more Republican in my neighborhood, huh?

Life is good...Here's to Jean Davis

12 comments:

WomanHonorThyself said...

lol..no Republicans here in NYC either hun..sorry!

Papa Frank said...

Looks like your doing more than your fair share over there!!!

heidianne jackson said...

not many here in kc, either. oh well, we do what we can, z :)

good job on getting the three you did !!

heidianne jackson
http://biggirlpants.typepad.com

Anonymous said...

Well done z!

Morgan

The Merry Widow said...

The gop should hire you for doing your civic duty!
Hey, if dead people can vote dhimmicrat...
Good morning, G*D bless and Maranatha!

tmw

Anonymous said...

Careful Z before someone charges you with "electioneering" within 100 feet of a polling place. You know our friends... "Do as I say, NOT as I do..."

Z said...

fj...there was a BIG SIGN to that effect there, too!
No electioneering...just REMINDING! :-)
But, ya...I decided setting up table for the national election MIGHT not be a good idea!

and ya..TMW..not only DEAD people but elderly with dimentia..the Dems in LA go into especially the Black neighborhoods and sign up the elderly who're in bad shape (even come to their house) for absentee ballots. THEn, when the ballots come, they go and vote FOR them. Cool, huh? I know that for a FACT. (I only know the Black neighborhood because a friend worked in a medical office there and all their elderly said how simple it had been to vote to the doctor when he asked "did you vote today?".."OH, sure...they got us to get absentee ballots and they came and helped us vote afterwards! Great!" The doc had a buddy who swore that old age home thing was happening too...for YEARS. Imagine how bad dem voter fraud will be now that they think they have to save the WORLD from Republicans even more than ever!?)

Karen Townsend said...

Way to go, Z! I love the participation. You know what they say, if you want a job done right, you have to do it yourself!

cube said...

You did your patriotic duty. Good for you.

During 2000 and 2004, we actually had our yard signs removed by libs. It didn't mess us up to much, we just put up more, but dontcha know, republicans are supposed to be the intolerant ones... yeah, right.

Z said...

OH, yes, Cube..we are the intolerants, they are the big open minded tolerant ones whose sites don't allow conservative posts..unlike the conservative FPM which DOES!!

karen..thanks, it was so much fun! I keep wondering if I'd given her WRONG directions if I'd found she was a Democrat beforehand!! (hee) I think I'm too honest.I wish the Left was!!!

Did you have time to read my comment just above yours, karen? How's THEm bananas? totally true. totally unAMERICAN.

Anonymous said...

man, that IS tough, Z!
I can't believe the guy was so sarcastic to you inside the building. That is completely inapropriate. Jerk.

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

I wrote myself in as a candidate for sheriff once, then called to see how many votes for me were cast.

"None."

I told them I wanted a recount and they told me to go to hell.