Monday, July 21, 2008

MONDAY MORNING with DOONESBURY....and my improvement on it


Sunday's Doonesbury cartoon:
"NO MEDIA BIAS", right? !!!
SOMEWHERE IN MIDDLE AMERICA: A man and woman on folding chairs outside their RV with the BBQ next to them. She's wearing a cross and has a tattoo. They're both swiggin' beers. (but nobody accuses Trudeau of elitism, right?)
Her: "You know, I was once one of those voters who wanted to have a beer with George Bush.... this was before I figured out he'd never want to have a beer with someone like me. Even if he DID drink, it'd be with his rich cronies! And, after Katrina and the war, I decided maybe it's better to have a president who's competent than one who's beer-worthy."

Him: "Yea...that's probably right..... But, who knew?

Her: "Well, exactly. It seemed like SUCH a good reason to vote for someone!"
Z TURNS THE TABLES:

SOMEWHERE IN NYC OR LA OR CHICAGO OR MIAMI: A man and woman on chic little wood and chrome chairs at their local coffee bar. She's wearing a peace sign and tiny coke spoon on a leather string. They're both sippin' "nonfat milk decaf" lattes.

Her: "You know, I was once one of those voters who wanted to do coke with Barack Obama....this was before I figured out he'd never want to do lines with someone like me. Even if he DID still do coke, it'd be in secret, not with people in the wrong part of Greenwich Village! And, after the economy collapsed and Iraq fell to Iran, I decided maybe it's better to have a president who's competent than one who's coke-worthy."

Him: "Yes, indeed...that's most certainly true... but we believed the media. We thought he had America's best interests at heart. Heck, we even liked the wife! But who knew?"

Her: "Well, exactly, it seemed like SUCH a good reason to vote for someone!"
Z again: Works for me. Too bad THE RIGHT doesn't have a cartoon in the LA or NY Times, huh? IMAGINE IF THE RIGHT DID THIS CARTOON? THE HELL WE'D GET FROM THE LEFT??

Therein lies the problem, folks...THEY do have the cartoon.

*(please weigh in on the article below, too....I'm really curious!)

13 comments:

WomanHonorThyself said...

lol..sheesh...when did the Twilight zone become our permanent residence Z!

Anonymous said...

Do they really have this cartoon?
I am one of the unfortunate Americans in fly over country.
we don't get the brilliance of King Obama.

WVDOTTR

shoprat said...

What irks me is that Doonesbury is carried by so many newspapers but conservative cartoons like Mallard Fillmore and Day by Day are funnier, truer and ignored

EDGE said...

Never been a fan of Doonesbury.

cube said...

I'd laugh if it weren't so spot on true. The left IS the cartoon.

cube said...

Um, let me clarify. Your version was spot on, not that moron
Doonesbury's, but I guess you know me well enough to know that.

Trekkie4Ever said...

Unbelievable! Why print it? It wasn't even funny.

Your version rocks, though.

Z said...

Everybody, thanks for your comments, I'm glad this kind of Doonesbury thing gets to you, too;

So....you think Pelosi'd be screaming foul if "MINE" was printed and Gary Trudeau's wasn't...?....If there were MAJOR daily papers carrying a cartoonist from the Right as nasty and powerful as his stuff was (which mine wasn't, but I'm no Gary Trudeau)

How fast could ol' Nancy write FAIRNESS DOCTRINE in a cartoon bubble, right?

Bloviating Zeppelin said...

I'm pretty good with a pen. Maybe I should draw that cartoon. If only I had a scanner. . .

BZ

Anonymous said...

Great spin, z! Now why do I get the feeling we'll never see anything like this in the MSM? Didn't Times get roasted by the Obamachine last week for posting a remotely critical cartoon on its front page? (It almost reminds me of the Muslim reaction to Fitna).

Z said...

Exactly, Aurora! I swear you're far more up to date on American news than most Americans are!

BZ....I draw, too...should have done that exact thing! good suggestion!

namaste said...

well at least there was the cover cartoon in the new yorker. i thought that was very clever. :)

~m

namaste said...

and of course everyone had a near stroke and threw huge tantrums when that cover ran. what a bunch of babies!!