Friday, September 23, 2011

Macaroni and Cheese: A special tribute

Yesterday on the Yahoo Homepage, they had an article on Tips for Making the Best Macaroni and Cheese.  I could post this information at my food site (see link to the right on my sidebar), but I figured this was the place to follow Yahoo's lead and pay homage to Macaroni and Cheese and my food blog, Mac 'n Geeez!

HERE are suggestions for THEIR best mac 'n cheese.......from somewhere called Beecher's Handmade Cheese store, in either Seattle or New York.   I'm looking into if they deliver it frozen and will have some sent if they do, believe me!

They do, however, make an error:  They recommend one under boils the macaroni so baking it at the end makes it 'perfect,' and my family 'secret', which we finally realized after my grandmother (the best mac 'n cheese maker EVER) died, is to OVERCOOK the pasta just a little, EVEN if you will be baking it to finish the cooking process.  Yes, it makes it light and fluffy and absolutely delectable!   Of course, Beecher's must be excellent, but I just thought I'd chime in with my correction, lest you'd like to try that, too!

Happy Macaroni and Cheese!   I usually don't open anything about food to comments here at GeeeZ so I can direct you all to my food blog (and I thank you for commenting there so loyally!) but, since I saw the article at Yahoo, I decided today's a special celebration of macaroni and cheese.............let us know if you do anything special with yours;  we'd love to know!
z

6 comments:

Silverfiddle said...

You're making me hungry...

Mark said...

I like mac and cheese if there is meat in it.

I am a carnivore.

Ticker said...

Ya gotta cook the "roni's done then you can bake it if you like.
Some of the best "baked roni" came from the elementary school cafeteria surprisingly enough. It was one of the few things that I really liked to eat in the cafeteria.
I seldom bake it but when I do so I layer several kinds of cheese on top(depends on what kind I have as to the types of cheese added) and add some sliced green bell pepper on top for looks. The pepper doesn't taste bad either.

I mean it's hard to screw up mac and cheese but unfortunately I have seen a few who could. ahhaha

Z said...

SCrewing up mac 'n cheese is putting too much 'other stuff' in it.

MARK...I'm a carnivore, too, but I can't stand that stuff people add like ham, etc...........I like mac 'n cheese just as God invented it :-)

Tick....yup, gotta cook the 'roni' and then bake it...Honestly, it's almost like a souffle then; FABULOUS!

Bob said...

When my daughter was in a home economics class in high school, the kids were challenged to cook their favorite dish and bring their own ingredients. My daughter promply raided the pantry, and took a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, preparing the whole thing in minutes. She never could understand why she was graded down on this project. I never tried to explain.

As far as I was concerned, Kraft Mac & Cheese may not be the best, but it is damned good when the cook in on vacation.

Z said...

Bob, if you promise not to tell anybody, I'll confide in you: I LOVE KRAFT MACARONI AND CHEESE, TOO! :-)
Yes, this die-hard mac 'n cheese lover likes the boxed stuff, too!

I have to tell you that Orson Bean made it for me about a month ago for lunch! He knew I loved mac'n cheese and he was making burgers but told his wife he just had to make me Kraft, too! We both enjoyed it...she didn't :-)