Tuesday, April 29, 2008

CONSUMER CONFIDunce

How many of you think the economy has been driven downward BY the media?

I'm not naive enough or a fan enough of most of this administration's latest actions to think the media made this mess alone, but I have noticed something funny over the last year or so. Before I started hearing quite how bad this economy was going, maybe a year ago, I'd hear good economics news and then the journalists would quickly add something really negative to that report. This has ratcheted up, in my opinion, to where I found myself thinking "Well, keep it UP, accentuate the negative, and we WILL have huge problems", more jokingly than anything... but, 'voila'.

This stimulus check, something I'm against BIG TIME, had to be an idea Bush got from the Left..... but the Left isn't happy enough, so a month ago, I heard "The stimulus checks Bush thought might help this economy probably won't because POLLS SAY that most Americans will be SAVING their checks." This was on ABC radio news.

"SAVING?" I thought... Wait, if people are suffering from high gas and food prices, how could they save this little bit of money? But, that's what the poll said. So....looks like just 'another Bush fiasco', huh? The economy's terrible, consumer confidence is at a terrible LOW.....ANOTHER thing isn't working "Don't vote for another Republican!"

Help me here. WHO would buy a home or car or invest in stock in this negative atmosphere? I'm not sure, honestly...........HOW MUCH OF THIS HAVE YOU THOUGHT COULD BE A MEDIA ENCOURAGED PROBLEM? And, if you do, can they not realize that they could do more permanent harm than even they had hoped?

I know this sounds a little conspiratorial, gives the media a lot of power, I know that.

Tell me, if the public was HEARING things were better, would things GO better? What do you think? Strictly hypothetical, a post mostly based on 'feelings' here at geeeeZ! today...........just wanted to throw it out to you.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

I think at the very least, it is the self-fulfilling prophecy of the media...

I don't know if they are doing harm to the economy intentionally, but they do at the very least need lots and lots of bad news to get a Dem into office in November.

elmers brother said...

with the exception of gas prices and the housing deal (apparently some people can't read) I'm making more money and am more comfortable than I ever have

Anonymous said...

I agree with Brooke.

Yay for you, ElBro!

We were hurting more than ever before until jast last week...got a new job. Our house was on the market for the last 10 months and I cringed EVERY time I watched the news. How many times must they tell us HOW BAD the housing market is?? Do they really want us to believe it's a depression? Is it our lack of consumer confidence that pushes us into a recession? If so, the media definitely has a lot to do with it. I'm pretty skeptical, myself.