Raising children in homosexual households is no different from raising children in straight households; anyone who says otherwise is a liar, or perhaps a Bible-thumping homophobe, or both.
This is the argument, of course. It is concise, illustrative of the studies produced by pseudo scientists from the most liberal colleges and universities, and (it appears now) utterly false.
Sociologist Mark Regnerus (University of Texas, Austin) has recently completed a study of children raised by homosexual parents. His data overturns the “conventional” academic wisdom that such children suffer no disadvantages when compared to children raised by their married mother and father. The study, published in the journal Social Science Research, followed the most thorough, rigorous, and methodologically sound study ever conducted.
Do children who are raised by homosexual parents or caregivers suffer disadvantages in comparison to children raised by traditional familial structures? The answer is a resounding and unqualified yes. The leftist argument to the contrary is false. So let’s just take a look at some of the findings:
Compared with children raised by their married biological parents (IBF), children of homosexual parents (LM and GF):
• Are much more likely to have received welfare (IBF 17%; LM 69%; GF 57%)
• Have lower educational attainment
• Report less safety and security in their family of origin
• Report more ongoing "negative impact" from their family of origin
• Are more likely to suffer from depression
• Have been arrested more often
• If they are female, have had more sexual partners--both male and female
The following, however, are some additional areas in which the children of lesbian mothers (who represented 71% of all the children with homosexual parents in this study) differed from the IBF children, in ways that were statistically significant in both a direct comparison and with controls. Children of lesbian mothers:
• Are more likely to be currently cohabiting
• Are almost 4 times more likely to be currently on public assistance
• Are less likely to be currently employed full-time
• Are more than 3 times more likely to be unemployed
• Are nearly 4 times more likely to identify as something other than entirely heterosexual
• Are 3 times as likely to have had an affair while married or cohabiting
• Are an astonishing 10 times more likely to have been "touched sexually by a parent or other adult caregiver."
• Are nearly 4 times as likely to have been "physically forced" to have sex against their will
• Are more likely to have "attachment" problems related to the ability to depend on others
• Use marijuana more frequently
• Smoke more frequently
• Watch TV for long periods more frequently
• Have more often pled guilty to a non-minor offense
So now let’s all take a deep breath and wait for the screaming, wailing, gnashing of teeth, the accusations that all conservatives have multiple fathers, and of course the ever-present charges of racism. Clearly, what we will not hear from the left is that children deserve better. We won’t hear anyone forming a conclusion that if homosexuals wish to pursue their hedonistic perversions, they should do so without also screwing up the minds of young children.
Source: Family Research Council