Saturday, April 4, 2009

A New Priscilla's Post...Schools and Unions, the beginning:

I asked Priscilla to write a piece based upon stories she'd told me about unions and her childrens' schools 40 years ago. This is when things started to go bad....this is when Miss Landers left our schools for good.

It was spring of 1969. Most of the teachers at my childrens' elementary school had spent days telling the children about going on strike, forming a union and essentially, putting their spin on it. The students didn’t learn much concerning their curriculum during that period of time.

My daughter’s teacher did not engage in this. The reason being he did not agree with it, and did not join the strike. My son’s teacher, however, did. My son, who was eight years old, was clearly worried and upset, although he felt relieved when his teacher told the class she would not leave and go out on strike. He liked her very much.

When he had apprised me of what the class was being told, I went to the school and spoke with his teacher, telling her I thought it was inappropriate to be using class time on their union agenda and what they wanted to gain from it. That, after all, these were eight year olds, and they shouldn’t have to deal with this sort of thing. She was polite, but, noncommittal.

I decided at that point that I would walk with him to his classroom, instead of dropping him off, just in case. He kept telling me, it was ok because she wasn’t going to walk out.

Sure enough a couple of days later, the teachers were on their picket line outside the school, including his. The principal wanted all the children to go to the auditorium, but I told him I was taking my son home. I wasn’t going to have him warehoused in the auditorium all day, and the principal agreed that since I was there it was fine to take him home. As if he could stop me.

When we got in the car, my boy began to cry, looked at me, befuddled and said, “mommy, she lied to us”. I said “I know, and that was wrong”. I hugged him and we went home. I was hopping mad, and two days later I was on the sidewalk with other parents demonstrating against the teachers and the union. I had taken my son to a friend’s house because I didn’t want him exposed to this activity.

His teacher nastily yelled at me, “well Mrs. Pris, you’ve come a long way”, and I walked across the street with my sign in hand and told her, “I didn’t lie to my son, you did”. Another parent, a friend, had followed me and walked with me over there with the teachers while they told us they had a right to strike, as we told them this was hurting the children, and that public employees did not have a right to strike.

We walked back across the street. The teachers yelled and called us “scabs“, “go home”
“get out of here,” “you’re ignorant”, There was some foul language as well which I will omit. A couple of Moms yelled back, “go back to your classes”, but for the most part we ignored their insults. Many of us mothers were on the executive board of the PTA, including me, and had worked with these teachers, helped them out, raised thousands of dollars to buy equipment for their classrooms and playground, and generally got along great. We gave them a faculty luncheon every year to show our appreciation.

When the school secretary arrived in her car and tried to pull into the driveway the teachers pounded on her car, yelling at her, tried to stop her from pulling in, and behaved like hooligans.

The office secretary was a lovely woman who worked for the principal, and was not obliged to go on strike, but, they didn’t care. Children were lined up on the other side of the fence, watching all this. The principal was cowering in his office, instead of keeping the children away from this chaos.

He called me into his office to ask me to please convince the parents outside to go home, and told me, “you wouldn’t want to be called scabs would you?” I told him they could call me whatever they want, I wasn’t leaving and neither were the rest.

He ended up handing me the union contract to take home and read. I didn’t ask for that, and was surprised. Yes, he was a stupid man.

I returned it the next day after reading it until two in the morning. Among other things, included in the contract was a demand that they have more say regarding the curriculum. I explained that we voted for a school board to do that.

When the strike was over, my son had missed a month of school. They wanted us to send our children to school during summer vacation. I refused. So did others. The atmosphere at the school was never the same as it had been before. No more the friendly occasional chats between those teachers and PTA moms. We were treated pretty badly.

When the time came to plan the faculty luncheon we were informed by the representative teacher they would tell us what they wanted to eat. The luncheon was a pot luck provided by the parents. I told this teacher we weren’t taking orders and would do what we always did.

None of them ever volunteered to help out with the fundraising activities again. The school was now totally politicized. They tried to begin their own parent’s group, to edge out the PTA. They ended up with a parent’s advisory board, but the same women who were active in PTA, were on that.

The union was responsible for ridding the school of the dress code, which many of us opposed them in doing, and tried to stop, but it was out of our hands. The flag at the next evening program at school was no longer on the stage where it had always been. My husband gave the principal an earful and the flag was put back after that and not removed again.

All in all it was a sad situation. The union has become more and more powerful, and parents have had less and less influence, until today I feel parents aren’t really that welcome on school grounds, but tolerated.

In recent years, I picked up my grandson at school every day. The place was practically devoid of most teachers five minutes after the final bell rang. The curriculum is developed and put into practice as if parental concerns don’t matter. There is no continuity between school and home. Parental authority is undermined even challenged, and sadly, many parents have abrogated their responsibility in many ways too.

I have to say, I lost a lot of respect for teachers as a group and judged on a more individual basis taking nothing for granted.

I still maintain that the children are not sent to school to provide jobs for teachers and administrators; they are sent to school for those people to provide an education for the children. The politics involved in all this leave the children as merely pawns in an ugly and political game that is more about power than education.

Z: And, of course, I know Pris would agree that it's also become more "indoctrination than education". That seems to be the 'education' of our days. And you can see how it started.....imagine teachers having children see THEM in civil disobedience? Or, put a technical legal term aside, maybe it isn't that at all, maybe it's just plain forgetting about manners and how children should look up to their teachers, not see them acting like children? In the Leave it to Beaver days, a bit before my school days but not much, children looked up to their teachers and teachers relied on the parents for input and help.

Thanks, Priscilla...good insight, a true tale of how we missed the boat. Frankly, I'd take everything about life on LEAVE IT TO BEAVER over ROSEANNE any day of the week. In about every way. But, sadly....so many Americans took the slob's route of least resistance. Easier to scratch your *** than put gloves on and look presentable. Easier to let the kids just get by than really take an interest. I'm generalizing, but.........

z

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Z: And, of course, I know Pris would agree that it's also become more "indoctrination than education"."

Thank you Z. I do agree, it has come to that. In fact, it began when the teachers at that time used class time to tell the children they needed a union and that it was because they wanted what was "best" for the children.

Of course in reality, it was about power, and money.

Pris

Z said...

Whether you like Ann Coulter or not, folks, her take on the teachers unions in, I think, TREASON, is priceless. Tons of FACTS, etc...very compelling.

Joe said...

Contrary to popular opinion (and their own, I might add) teachers are the most overpaid people in the American workforce, including UAW. They get their money for NOT being good teachers but by being good propagandists.

Z said...

I don't know, Joe..you have a point, but the teachers around here deserve combat pay in some neighborhoods..!!

Law and Order Teacher said...

Pris, Z,
I agree with a lot of what Pris wrote. Teachers that go on strike are guilty of using their position to blackmail citizens.

I remember in the late 70s, I don't remember the exact year, the firefighters in town went on strike, which is illegal. They formed what they called "phantom squads" that went to fires to check for people to save. After they were sure no one was inside, they left. Citizens were left to fend for themselves.

As a young officer, I saw the betrayal on the faces of the citizens as their houses burned.

One lady looked at me as her house burned and thanked us for staying on the job. To this day, the feeling about the firefighters is still strained in the city. As for the police, well, people just don't like the police.

The betrayal expressed in your post is real. Entrusting your children to anyone is an act of faith. To have that betrayed is hard to get over.

Don't even get me started about the union. I quit it, but I have to pay into it as Ohio is compulsory union state. I am an agency fee payer which means that I get a rebate of my union dues that are adjudged by an arbitrator to be of a political nature. Not much, but it makes a point.

Joe, generalizations are not a good way to go. I know a lot of teachers who are very dedicated to their students and do the job as well as they can. We teach what we are told and you may be surprised to know that a lot of teachers, and I mean a lot, are conservatives.

Rest assured that I don't engage in propaganda, nor do very many of the teachers I know. I won't take a backseat to anyone as far as patriotism goes. As for my paycheck, I've never had to back-up to the paytable, as we used to say in the military. I have always walked up with pride and took my pay and walked away.

Joe, be careful with that broadbrush, you might get some on you.

RightKlik said...

Great thought-provoking post!

Brooke said...

Great post; great insight.

I would take a day in Mayberry over what we have now anytime...

*sigh*

Mike said...

If there is a strike, I will be in my classroom teaching students. Luckily, I haven't had to make good on this yet, but I strongly believe that we are there for the students. If I feel that I am being treated unfairly, I will go to an administrator and have a conversation with them directly.

If it weren't for the union, I could also go to the Principal and negotiate my own salary. But then again, if teachers were doing this, it would make the union irrelevant so they won't allow it.

The union closely resembles a mafia organization in my opinion. I am an agency-fee payer because I don't want my money supporting the their political causes.

elmers brother said...

I feel like our education system is lost.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Priscilla and Z! I've been beating this drum for two years now. The teachers unions are one of the BIGGEST threats we face to the American way of life. You wouldn't BELIEVE the arguments I've had with teachers on this topic! Most that I've tsalked to defend their union.

Morgan

kevin said...

Private schools and vouchers would return the schools to where they need to be. Until then, it's going to a bloated bureaucracy and a massive burden on the taxpayer.

Z said...

Elbro, I feel that way, too...Kevin's right, though...

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

The public education system couldn't violate your trust if the public education system didn't exist.

True story, maybe I've told it before:

Sitting in a classroom, 5th grade, 1980, Birmingham, Alabama. Racially desegregated classroom.

Teacher old enough to have been there in person for the firehoses herself tried to sell the idea that Bull Connor was a Republican.

If you ever wondered why the left has the exclusive rights to the production of idiots, look no further than your local school.

Z said...

Beamish, I just found this:
Theophilus Eugene "Bull" Connor (11 July 1897 – 10 March 1973) was a police official in the Southern U.S. state of Alabama during the American Civil Rights Movement and a staunch advocate of racial segregation. He was a Democrat, a delegate to the 1948 Democratic National Convention http://politicalgraveyard.com/parties/D/1948/AL.html, and a member of the Democratic National Committee.

UNBELIEVABLE what the Left will do to hide the truth, isn't it?
Thanks for that story....I'm afraid there are tons like that.x

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

I forgot to mention it was a black teacher.

Z said...

OH, man, Beamish..that is SAD.

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

I'm sure she was "just following orders," like many good leftists before her.

Too much "what to think," not enough "how to think."

Then again, thinking is not the forte of a leftist.

The Vegas Art Guy said...

Joe, exactly how much time have you spent as a teacher anyway? Teachers are not overpaid once you factor in all the work we do outside of the classroom.

Z, I needs an email address to send you the TKAM paper.

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

Joke time:

After being interviewed by the school administration, the prospective teacher said:

'Let me see if I've got this right.

'You want me to go into that room with all those kids, correct their disruptive behavior, observe them for signs of abuse, monitor their dress habits, censor their T-shirt messages, and instill in them a love for learning.

'You want me to check their backpacks for weapons, wage war on drugs and sexually transmitted diseases, and raise their sense of self esteem and personal pride.

'You want me to teach them patriotism and good citizenship, sportsmanship and fair play, and how to register to vote, balance a checkbook, and apply for a job.

'You want me to check their heads for lice, recognize signs of antisocial behavior, and make sure that they all pass the final exams.

'You also want me to provide them with an equal education regardless of their handicaps, and communicate regularly with their parents in English, Spanish or any other language, by letter, telephone, newsletter, and report card.

'You want me to do all this with a piece of chalk, a blackboard,a bulletin board, a few books, a big smile, and a starting salary that qualifies me for food stamps.

'You want me to do all this and then you tell me. . .

I CAN'T PRAY?

Z said...

Beamish,.."What to think" is right. I have nieces and nephews in universities and colleges and they're stunned by the lack of respect for both sides of an argument.
Political correctness wears lots of kids down...in 100 ways a day, it's insinuated that being FOR LIFE is neandrethal and unkind to the poor innocent young women seeking to kill their babies...NEVER is it suggested that abstinance or just being more careful just might have prevented the situation they're in; Global change is a given, though SO MANY scientists have other information on it...on and on and on.
No decent give and take conversations...just a feeling like "HOW COULD YOU FEEL THAT WAY?" And it DOES wear people down.
It's Alinsky all the way....

Your last comment is something I"ve seen and there's a WHOLE lot of truth there, too. Can't pray? Man, has our society gone downhill since kids have been convinced life must not include any prayer because that might make the 1/2% who don't pray like YOU feel badly...It's almost ridiculously stupid to consider we've done this: Bending to the very small minority and hurting our WHOLE society in the meantime, isn't it. Never mind that the 99.50% now feel badly. THAT's okay...THEY're not a minority.

Ducky's here said...

I'm curious about this "indoctrination" idea. Is it possible without mentioning evolution or homosexuality to describe how kids are being "indoctrinated"?

I just don't see it. In my recent film forum for the high schoolers we did Antonioni's "The Passenger", probably as bleak a portrait of alienation as you'd find. We had a lively discussion o f why God was necessary to resolve alienation in people's lives. I think this indoctrination flap is much ado about nothing.

I remember when my dad went out at the GE jet engine plant. Glad you folks didn't try to cross that line.

Z said...

Ducky, don't be coy.
it's the open and respectful discussion of gay marriage and creationism which every thinking person should welcome. it's the idea that profs are grading down if you don't agree with them that's troubling. You read FPM long enough to remember that. Perhaps you still can; once you've been banned, you can still read the articles.
Even you sink to belittlement and demeaning comments when you find something here against your opinion.

Indoctrination is everywhere....but, it's a relief to think you don't find that to be true. :-)

Ducky's here said...

You read FPM long enough to remember that.

----------------------

Yeah, Frontpagemag, the gospel truth.

I'm afraid simply because Davy Ho'boy has an opinion and needs to get the folks stirred up to guarantee his speaking fees doesn't constitute a definitive position. Of course you can always listen to Sean Hannity to avoid indoctrination.

Face it z, the whole culture is nothing but noise.

Did you read that Ward Churchill won his lawsuit?

Anonymous said...

C'mon Ducky, Frontpagemag is not a news outlet. It's commentary, and doesn't pretend to be anything else. The same with talk radio.

I suppose the New York Times, which IS a news outlet, is a purveyor of gospel truth?

Funny isn't it, that avoiding or omitting the truth isn't considered a lie.

Regarding indocrination in public school - When children are told that only American Indians are native Americans, It's a lie.

As I told my grandson, he was born here, therefore he is as much a native as an American Indian. Political correctness is indocrination and obfuscates the truth.

One's native land has nothing to do with when he was born, and parsing words, or twisting reality to suit someone's idea of what they want it to mean, does not make it so. This is but one example.

Teaching global warming is another example. Is it the gospel truth? Yet that's how it's taught.

No, it's a theory based on IMO junk science and political agenda.
Yet, we're told the discussion is over.
Really? Why? And why are dissenting scientists humiliated and rebuked? I thought debate was a good thing. Or does the left get to decide what's good for us, no questions asked.

Ward Churchill? Please, he's a fraud. Who cares if he won his lawsuit. It doesn't change the fact he's an America hating idiot, not to mention a huge bore.


Pris

Z said...

Ducky..BIG SURPRISE! An America-hating bastard wins a lawsuit and you celebrate. Congratulations.
Great message this sends our kids, isn't it? "You TOO can lie and get ahead!"

As for FPM, Pris is right..it's COMMENTARY. Listen, people need to find the viewpoint of HALF OF AMERICA somewhere, or do you disagree?

I asked if you were an admirer of Lenin, you suddenly disappeared that day, by the way. Are you? It would help us understand things like why you seem to gloat about W. Churchill.

I believe his college uses public funds, doesn't it? How would YOU like to pay for Sean Hannity's salary, Ducky?
I didn't think so

David Horowitz doesn't need to get anybody stirred up...it's hardly read anymore because I 've been checking Google and they hardly link to it anymore. That seem good for you, Ducky? Discrmination like that? wow.
And you're supposed to be the big liberal minded one...what a laugh.

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

Ducky,

You want to know where the indoctrination is?

Did you not read my own anecdote of living in Birmingham, Alabama not even 17 years after Democrats like Bull Connor were busting up civil rights marches with firehoses and attack dogs (let's not go into stories of businesses like my grandfather's being firebombed by the KKK / Democrats for helping to register black Americans to vote Republican) and having a NEA-union robot try to sell 5th graders on the idea that the very symbol of political segregationist racism - Bull Connor - was a Republican.

Yeah, and George Wallace and Orval Faubus were too, right?

Z will say "don't be coy." I'll just come out and say "be a leftist moron somewhere else."

Ducky's here said...

See there's a good example, Beamish. You consider the old southern Dixiecrats to be synonymous with today's Dem party (not that the Dems are a prize). A clear indoctrination and a total omission of the switch to today's Republican party by the Strom Thurmond branch of enlightenment.

Now, people who are educated not indoctrinated remember Johnson's statement that the civil rights legislation would cost the Democrats the south and that was exactly what happened.

I await your reply.

Ducky's here said...

What you seem to be saying Pris is that any teaching that doesn't go along with a rather far right position is indoctrination.

You don't see the irony, do you?

Ducky's here said...

I asked if you were an admirer of Lenin, you suddenly disappeared that day, by the way.

---------------------------

I answered your question, z. I think the "Fremont Lenin" statue is interesting and the way the statue is used is often ironic.
Best is when they decorate it with Christmas lights.

But the right has very, very little capacity for subtlety, humor, irony.

Now, I also think that Riefenstahl's "Triumph of the Will" is a genius piece of film editing and would be required in any serious study of film technique. Does that make me a Nazi?

Anonymous said...

Compelling story, Pris. Good for you for sticking up for what-you-knew-was-right. That takes courage, and dedication to the job of parenting. Sadly, it can also make you a target for abuse.


What you've presented here is a microcosm of what Marxian GroupThink has done to our society over many decades of persistent unabashed perversion of our traditional modes of thought and belief coupled with self-serving policies that masquerade as virtuous.


Unionism, Feminism, Activism in general --- including the sainted Civil Rights movement --- have made loud, thuggish, boorish, selfish, disrespectful, deceitful tactics part of our standard operating procedure.


A great legacy from Marx, Engels, the Frankfurt School, Samuel Gompers, Emma Goldman and Saul Alinsky, et al.


Thee specifics you gave fit the characteristic pattern of Leftist Destructionism to a tee.

~ FreeThinke
~

Anonymous said...

Very informative, Miss Pris.
And the point is this:
if you want to do politics, then do it on your own time.

Teachers are there to teach, not use the school and innocent kids as launching pads for practice in their radical games.

Enough of this crap.

I am proud of you, Pris for just doing what you knew was right for your child.

Yes, this illustrates exactly how the left has continually infiltrated the institution of education.

Getting their hands on those poor kids.

Lying to children..yep, something to be proud of, isn't it.
WVDOTTR

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

Now, I also think that Riefenstahl's "Triumph of the Will" is a genius piece of film editing and would be required in any serious study of film technique. Does that make me a Nazi?

No, your leftism does that.

Z said...

Ducky, "Now, I also think that Riefenstahl's "Triumph of the Will" is a genius piece of film editing and would be required in any serious study of film technique. Does that make me a Nazi?"

No. And it didn't make Riefenstahl a NAZI, either.

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

See there's a good example, Beamish. You consider the old southern Dixiecrats to be synonymous with today's Dem party (not that the Dems are a prize). A clear indoctrination and a total omission of the switch to today's Republican party by the Strom Thurmond branch of enlightenment.

Now, people who are educated not indoctrinated remember Johnson's statement that the civil rights legislation would cost the Democrats the south and that was exactly what happened.

I await your reply.


Reply?

Short. Sweet. Effective:

KKK "Grand Kleagle" Robert Byrd is the "statesman" of the party that kicked out a Jew in 2006.