Sunday, April 24, 2011

Sunday Faith Blog... Easter...a Glorious Day

Quite often, I wonder why some people believe Jesus Christ was God come down to Earth to teach and model and love us, was crucified on the cross, was buried but rose again for all us........... and some do not.   Though raised in a family of dedicated Christians, I certainly had a difficult time believing all of that, particularly after I was in my twenties and just too 'intelligent' to buy into it!  Years later, while living in Paris, I joined Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) because I'd always wanted to read the Bible, whether I actually believed all of it or not, I felt it would be a good thing to do.  I had no idea that reading and studying it with others would cause 'something' to sneak up on me and open a whole new world to me, a world I wasn't even  sure I wanted, to tell you the truth.  But, as C.S. Lewis once said, I was suddenly and unwittingly in the web and wouldn't be able to escape.  Somehow, God found me in Paris.  I'll be eternally grateful.

To those of you not feeling Easter this Sunday like we Christians do, I so sincerely and prayerfully hope He finds you somewhere, too.  It doesn't have to be anywhere as glamorous as 23 Avenue George V (see image), it could be where you're sitting right now.


For all of you, I wish a Happy Easter, or Resurrection Sunday as some like to call it.........I prefer Happy Easter because it's just plain happier, it gives me pleasure to see lovely Easter things even though they're not Biblical, like colored eggs and flowers and chocolate bunnies!  Who can understand the Trinity and the Love of God and the great sacrifice for us and not want to say "Happy ...SOMETHING?"   It's a very happy day, the happiest occasion ever.

I'll be part of a group singing the song in the video below this morning....it has wonderful lyrics and builds to quite a crescendo of good music.  I hope you take the time to listen and that you enjoy this:


"Then he (the thief on the cross who confessed he deserved being killed on the cross for the life he'd led) said to Jesus (as they both were being hanged), 'Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom. And Jesus said to him, 'Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise." Luke 23

He showed belief. That's all it took.

Happy Easter...have a Glorious Day

z

22 comments:

Always On Watch said...

The miracle of Christianity is that finding eternal life depends upon the simplest of mind processes: belief. Jesus has paid the price, thereby blotting out our sins.

God makes it so easy for us to come to Him! And when the Holy Spirit draws us, there is no way to resist. The evidence of the Spirit does show in our lives.

Someday I should write about the time the Holy Spirit "spoke" to me while I was scrubbing the bathtub and, even though I was already a believer, having a hissy fit over my having to teach an impossible class in a Christian school. For many years, I didn't speak of the matter and, even to this day, rarely discuss what happened; but from that time forward, I have had an inner peace, which many people have commented on.

A blessed Easter to you, Z.

Mark said...

That song is in the Baptist Hymnal under the title of "One Day". We sang it in church as a congregation often. I thoroughly enjoyed this version.

Have a blessed Easter, Z. Because He lives, so do we.

elmers brother said...

He has risen indeed!

DaBlade said...

I'm feeling it! God Bless you Z, and Happy Easter to all!

Pris said...

Happy Easter!

Thank you Z, this presentation is beautiful.

A joyous day to one and all.

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter to you Z, and all here.

christian soldier said...

He is risen-He is risen indeed!
Hugs-
Carol-CS

JINGOIST said...

Happy Easter everyone!

Anonymous said...

Hello Z,

I pray the Lord continues to bless you. Thanks for this post.. and if you don't object, I will call it the celebration of the Resurrection of our Savior, the proof that He IS God.
I pray we, all who have trusted Christ as Savior, will remember the Resurrection every day of the year.
Yes, He IS Risen!! And coming again -- soon.

In Jesus Christ eternally, Jack

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter, Z ...

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

Wal-Mart had chocolate Christian fish symbols. I guess you'd eat the tail first like you'd eat the chocaolate rabbit's ears first.

I thought it was neat to see them, even though the shelves were full of them. People want chocolate bunnies on Easter more I guess.

Everyone have a pleasant Ressurection Sunday :)

I'm off to engorge myself with Mom's cooking, and the traditional bag of jelly beans she still buys me. :)

Beverly said...

I love that song. We used to sing it often in church. I think I like our melody better, but the words are powerful, nonetheless.

Happy Resurrection Day to you, Z.

Z said...

AOW...thanks.
Funny, but I've felt like speaking to the Holy Spirit sometimes when I'VE had to scrub a bathtub :-) I don't think it was quite the same message, however :-)

Mark...I only know Glorious Day in the praise version ; in all my yrs playing choir director/organ player (not organist because I never cared to learn it as well as I play piano!) I never heard it in a hymnal...
We could have done it better today but we get slower than I'd like and I could't do my high jazz/rock descants because the laryngitis is hanging in there but I was glad I could at least do my default low harmonies.

DB..good!

ExPreacherman, thanks...I'm a HAPPY EASTER kinda gal myself! But, of course, like the Resurrection Sunday obvious happy implication as well.
Yes, Pastor always announces how every sermon he does is really an EASTER sermon, about His death and what it did for us in eternal and uncountable ways!
it was packed today and I wish he'd mentioned aloud what the sign outside church will say tomorrow:

WE'RE OPEN AFTER EASTER, TOO!

I always laugh at that!

Hi, Beverly...I love our version and, as I said above, had never run across another one...is it the GLORIOUS DAY title too??

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter sweet Z! May you be blessed and find happiness in His prensence.

Hugs,
me

Jan said...

This is such a sweet, touching post, Z..such an affirmation of your own faith in the One Who loved us enough to die for us, so that we may live with Him, eternally.

I love that song..my husband does, too, and sang right along with it, while we were listening the second time

I wish you could post some videos of you, and your church choir singing, sometimes, too.

It has been a good Happy Easter day here at our house..filled with gratitude and love for our Savior, Jesus, the Christ.

MathewK said...

Like Ann Coulter said, Christianity is the easy way out, all you need is belief. And yet so many still refuse.

Oh well, Happy Easter Z.

Z said...

It humbles me to be among so many bright, kind, good people and know we share this faith.
Easter is about the Body of Christ and your comments remind us all of that.
Thank you SO much.
Love,Z

Joe said...

To me, Resurrection Sunday (Easter)is the most important day of the year, for at His resurrection, He put the Seal of God on His finished work at the cross of Calvary.

Major said...

Happy Easter all!.

David Wyatt said...

And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath He made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to His cross;
And having spoiled principalities and powers, He made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it. (Colossians 2:13-15)

That says it all for me. Thanks for your beautiful testimony Z! Sometime I'll have to tell how God used an old '65 Impala SS to show me my need of Him! God Bless you!

Z said...

Layla, thanks so much. I have to admit I"ve had a hard time recently (again) about Mr. Z and holidays are very rough, but FAITH does pull me through...

Jan, I'm happy you had a good day.
I would love to post some of our praise band and me and had hoped to post my LORD IS IT I? solo but this laryngitis kept me from singing THursday night.....Today, I could sing but had to sing low harmonies; not my usual jazz/rock stuff I sing over the band...still, it was okay...at least my chords held and I could stay in one key today!
And yes, I used to be a "strictly hymns" girl but not anymore so much! YOu simply can't beat some of the lyrics in the praise songs...and I never thought I'D SAY THAT!

Joe, it really IS the most important day..even over Christmas, isn't it, when you think of it. It was this day which "Sealed the deal" for us all!

Major, thanks so much...to you, too.

David, that sounds like a good blog post; let us know when you write it and please do it soon, I'd love to read it!
And God bless you, my friend.

xxx

Susannah said...

Glory Hallelujah, sister Z!!

;)