Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The World didn't END?

SO, the world DID NOT END, huh?  I barely gave this a notice, of course, but Dennis Prager on his morning show today said something like "what Christians predicted did not happen Saturday......"
Really?  "Christians?"   Christians know that Scripture tells us that if someone thinks they know the day of the Second Coming, that is the surest day ever that He won't come then! "Christians"?   Did YOU Christians here at geeeZ spend all your money advertising the "rapture"?  Did you spend all your savings on billboards advertising anything?  I didn't think so.  Neither did I.   My Pastor on Sunday gave a good sermon, beginning with how, on Friday, he kind of thought "What the heck, why bother if we're going to be departing tomorrow?"  He got a giggle and he followed with ".........so, I went with Plan B and wrote a sermon, anyway!"

But, be that as it may, here's the phrase from the article linked above which really got to me, another media 'twist' that's utterly misrepresentative and unfair:

Camping's PR aide, Tom Evans, told the L.A. Times that the group is "disappointed" that 200 million true believers weren't lifted up to heaven on Saturday while everyone else suffered and eventually died as a series of earthquakes and famine destroyed the Earth.

Really?  So the writer, Liz Goodwin, adds her version of the "End Times" and makes it sound like this Camping fellow is not only disappointed that millions weren't in heaven around cocktail time on Saturday but that he's disappointed "everyone else" didn't suffer and eventually die as a series of earthquakes and famine destroyed the Earth.  REALLY?  Is that what Christians WANT, for people to be left behind in nightmare scenarios?  :-)  Of course not.

Here's a guy who followed Camping but has the best statement of all:
But Bauer is not angry at Camping for his false prediction. "Worst-case scenario for me, I got to see the country," he told the paper. "If I should be angry at anybody, it should be me."

All he had to have done was read the Scripture.

There is also Mark 13:32, "Concerning that day of the hour nobody knows, neither the angels in heaven nor the Son, but the Father."    And yes, there are many verses which do tell us to be ready,  I know that........but, for the purposes of this post and my information, I'll leave you all with that.   Please, let's leave it there in comments.  My purpose here is to show yet more media bias but mostly to remind us all to be smart and vigilant and do our homework when we hear of "Christians" who forecast these types of things.  Anything more is a level of theological discussion we can't have here, unfortunately, and we all know what's happened in the past when we've tried. Thanks for honoring my request.

Amen.

z

15 comments:

Brooke said...

I wasn't too worried about walking outside and finding empty sets of clothing on the sidewalk. ;)

As you said, if you are a believer and have actually read the Book, this was a non-date.

I would like to know if the 'pastor' in question is truly a fool or a snake-oil man, though. His website kept their donation button up the whole time...

cube said...

Maybe this teach some folks to give to proper charities instead of loony ones... then again, maybe it won't. Some people never learn.

Ducky's here said...

Should have sent a bundle to the Benny Hinn "ministry".

Z said...

Hi, Brooke.....a non-date is right. One wonders where that money was going to go after the BIG DAY, huh? Pastor asked me the same thing! We had to laugh.

Cube, no, people never learn and what a good idea; so much money wasted on NOTHING.

Ducky...there are far far far far far more appealing evangelists than Hinn.
A bundle should be spent to the poor; this is giving because people WANT to, that's the kind that should be done.

Ducky's here said...

Well there is an issue that's highlighted by the Prager quote.

The word "Christianity" has been stretched out of shape trying to encompass everything that claims to be "Christian" from Benny Hinn to Joel Osteen.

Is there any means to bring the word more in line with it's earlier meaning? How do you control the cults?

BB-Idaho said...

Eschatology is SUCH an
inexact science....

Z said...

BB, particularly Christian eschatology, you are so right.

The thing is, I'm beginning to think that we're all personally better off in Scripture by ourselves and not listening to anybody else BUT it's so much better with a study with people who know what they're talking about...I've never studied by myself; it was dull and difficult, let's face it. But, studying with experts whom you trust is a WHOLE other story and even exciting.(which I never expected)

I hate to detract from this CAMPING guy who predicted the end of the world, but you need to trust someone after having conversation and asking particular questions. If he mentioned this to me, I'd have run...in the opposite direction. There are people who are loony or just plain sincerely misled in ALL groups of people, not just religious ones, but I think this is a more sensitive one; particularly if you believe and want to build your faith.

You'll laugh, but soon after we joined our church about 9 years ago now, I was leaving an evening meeting about the school board or something and Pastor (who's only 41) and I were standing in the dark outside the church and here's what I asked:

How do you feel about the Iraq war?
(my heart was pounding like a hammer because I liked him and couldn't go to a liberal church)..

When he told me, I said "Are you a Conservative?" And he said "You bet"

done :-)

Bob said...

One day when I was a young teenager, a neighborhood friend burst into our house, all out of breath, yelling, "Bobby! Bobby! The world is going to end today!"

I thought, "Just my luck for the world to end when my pants are down". My friend couldn't understand why I was laughing so hard behind the bathroom door.

Was there a message in that experience?

Bob
Spurious Missives

elmers brother said...

Duhkkky I think you're right. The word has been stretched and unfortunately it can be used to marginalize even the reasonable. It's why we should hesitate to throw every Muslim under the bus.

Anonymous said...

Great points by Ducky and ElBro.

This whole thing was just so ridiculous.
I didn't even know it was going on until someone told me late Friday evening.

I believe it should've been completely ignored.
But I feel that way about EVERY stooopid attention-grabbing story that the media sensationalizes.

Z said...

it is dumb, isn't it.
That's why I had to write about it; when I heard Dennis Prager say "Christians predicted.." , I thought "No "THEY" didn't!!"

Scotty said...

Well, it seems the date has been shifted to October, kinda. Because sumthin' did happen May 21st, kinda.

Instead of the world physically coming to an end on May 21 with a great, cataclysmic earthquake, as he had predicted, Harold Camping, 89, said he now believes his forecast is playing out "spiritually," with the actual apocalypse set to occur five months later, on October 21.

The Jehovah's Witnesses used this line LONG ago!

Brooke said...

And now the 'pastor' has pushed the date back to 10/21... I'm sure THIS TIME it will be accurate. Riiiiiight.

Z said...

Oh, you guys are KIDDING!! I hadn't heard that.
Well, here we go again!

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

Is there any means to bring the word more in line with it's earlier meaning? How do you control the cults?

Maybe get Rome to drop that ahistorical and ludicrous assertion that the Pope is the apostolic successor to Peter?