Saturday, August 2, 2008

"I am Z, and I am a BLOGAHOLIC"


Some of us lost our blogs yesterday. We couldn't get into them at all.

I needed a blog! I wondered if the blog bar down the street was open..........I needed A BLOG! "Bartender...give me a BLOG....straight up.." "..oh, and with two olives...."

Emails were flying, advice was given, sitemeter was taken off our sites to see if that would help, it worked for some, not for me. We didn't know if it was Blogger or Internet Explorer. Some got notes from Blogger saying it was a spam problem, I didn't get that note. I got emails from blogger friends advising of what other blogs were down. (thanks!)
Tired friends who work at night (you know who you are) took the time to try to help between getting up and going back to work and even called from their car on the way to work to continue to help. How could I ever thank friends like THAT? One very dear friend was manning BLOG SICK CENTRAL and trying to help us all out even though it was later for her on the East Coast. I even got a call from someone we all blog with now and who's become a friend, someone I've known since my early Frontpagemag days but someone I'd never spoken to before, and there she was on the telephone trying to help. It was so good to talk to her! Other friends wrote us careful instructions on how to do a certain computer procedure which worked for some but not for me...So many were trying to help everyone! Thanks, ALL.

Which is, basically, what prompted me to write this.

We all have 'real friends' in 'real life' and we have full lives (okay, except maybe Ducky). But, this blogging thing has widened that circle and enriched me...it gets to you, doesn't it! Through blogging, we've all met good Americans from all over the country on the blogosphere (yes, even you, Ducky...though you and I've battered each other since early FPM days!). Except for Ducky, we have seen that honorable traditional values are still beautifully championed by many fantastic people. Doesn't it give you hope? It does me. Doesn't this go against the media hype?

Yesterday, at my most bereft, I thought I'd need to start a Twelve Step Program for bloggers without blogs........My husband even brought a glass of red wine up to my computer and me. I'm not sure which needed it more after I'd exhausted everything I could do trying to fix the problem, me or the computer! The drink wasn't enough....I NEEDED MY BLOG!

Thanks to all of you who have become blogging partners, commenting here, accepting my comments at your blogs so graciously, writing me privately, even meeting me at Starbucks (you know who YOU are! I wish all of us could do that..except you, Ducky..just kidding, sort of!), and I'm looking forward to meeting a Florida blogger when she comes to California soon, and another blogger who's moving nearby from another State. This blogging business is an amazing thing. Some of us even pray for each other...how great is THAT? Being in daily contact makes us closer....as conservatives these days, we need to stand together and share thoughts and buoy each other up. And I think it helps. I know it does.
I needed my blog to stay in touch with those of you I don't privately email with or don't talk to on the phone...commenters who come here often, whose sites I visit, people I only 'know' through our blogs. Yesterday was tough! I missed you!

So, now that we're all back, we've had our blog fix and we're feeling better..at least I am. It was nice having you commenting without me, but FRUSTRATING! Thanks for manning the site...

It's good to be back.

z

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is just good to see you back up.
Last night I attempted several times to access your site .

Now, I would get the site, but then a message would pop up and say that internet explorer was aborting the access, claiming it could not enter it.

It suggested that the server was jammed or something, among many other reasons as to why it could not do what I wanted it to do,
so...

That was that.

WVDOTTR

The Merry Widow said...

It was crazy, WV, CRAZY I TELL YOU!
Call waiting got quite the workout last night too!
It was nice not to be alone without a clue or a friend!
I'm glad it's Saturday! LOL!
But I got a call from a certain friend, early, while I was trying to decide if I wanted to get up or not...I got up.

tmw

CJ said...

Glad to see you're up and running again! Anybody ever find out what caused the problem for sure? In case it happens again.

Z said...

Great to be back..
Cj..it's an Internet Explorer problem with Sitemeter, apparently.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2055371/posts

check that out.....that'll help.

The Merry Widow said...

Somebody's name is now doo-doo, over there! Smart-alecks, forgetting(?) to test it first...and not giving ANY warning to anybody...bad for pr purposes!

tmw

elmers brother said...

I suggest that our views about this country and how bad things are perceived are due in part by what we are fed on TV, the internet and the newspaper.

Let's face it good news, good values and morals rarely make news or sell newspapers.

I'm trying to see beyond my own myopia. I think I'll feel better and I think others would too.

After all anyone that places their Hope in politics et. al is a fool.

Incognito said...

So true.. about building a community of friends. Felt so furstrating not to be able to access certain sites.

I think mine is okay though i haven't removed sitemeter.

Interesing thing: you still can't access sitemeter.com went to see if they had mentioned anything about the problem.

Z said...

I still have sitemeter on mine but can't access it, either, Incog....maybe they're working on it. I IMAGINE they are!
And somebody's head's about rollin' by now!

Z said...

Elbro..thanks for the important reminder. We do get blind sided, don't we.

Z said...

or 'Blind SIGHTED'?

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Z, and everyone.
Yes there's no question we meet great people we never would have met if it weren't for this medium. I'm grateful for that. It adds a whole new dimension to one's life that's for sure.

It's been a funny week. After the earthquake our phone service, including cell phone, was purposely cut off by the phone co.

Then last night's interruption of service by internet explorer. It got me to thinking how quickly and easily we can lose all communication with others.

Naturally one would expect it in the event of a terrible disaster, but through a mere flick of a switch, so to speak, is not a comforting thought. The mind conjures up awful possibilities.

One thing is sure, we take all our amenities for granted, and we shouldn't.

Pris

Z said...

Thanks, Pris ....am sure glad I met YOU!

YOu're right about staying connected and what a thin line between connection and ZERO connection, especially if the stories are true that Iran could block our electric grids in five minutes... and that it could take years to fix it....... that is more frightening than almost anything, in my opinion. Scientists are saying it would put us back in the dark ages......man.

CJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Welcome to my world. There have been many reasons I haven't updated The Misanthropundit recently. I just absolutely got wore out dealing with comment spammers, software issues and hardware fiascos to name three that come to mind immediately.

I tried to sign on last night to post this comment. goolygeeez popped up closely followed by an MS box informing me that: "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http://www.misanthropundit.com/ Operation aborted." Of course absolutely no indication of what the problem was. Later in the evening I noticed the same problem with my website www.thereallybigtree.com and www.misanthropundit.com. Other sites seemed to work. At that point I began to think "what do the three websites share in common that would cause the same problem?"

I only ruled out a few, but hey, it's a daunting task with thousands of possibilities. Of course, impatient old man that I am, I tried many time consuming, shade tree mechanic wastes of time. Glad that whatever was wrong has been fixed before impatience gets me in more trouble.

Z said...

Bubba! SO good to see you!

it's apparently an Internet Explorer problem with Sitemeter..Sitemeter changed something without notifying people. (like I KNOW what I'm talking about?!)


Read this: they know what they're talking about! http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2055371/posts

Anonymous said...

The error message above was of course for my site. The message was the same for gollygeez with that URL.

nanc said...

hi, i'm nanc and i'm here to help!

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaahahaha!

you should see me when we go to the mountain for several days...

lately though - i could take it or leave it for extended periods more than say a year ago.

Papa Frank said...

Glad that all is harmonius again! Welcome back Z!!!

Gayle said...

Z, I worked for four hours this morning trying to fix IE. I have Firefox and it worked fine, but I knew people who only run IE Browsers wouldn't be able to get in. Finally a friend e-mailed me and told me it was Sitemeter. That was after I had already deleted all my browsing history from IE7 and screwed up a bunch of other stuff as well. Oh well... you live and learn. I just put the Sitemeter code back on and it's working fine.

What a morning, and I still had to go in and do some work at the church. Now I'm cooking a 20lb picnic ham for church brunch tomorrow. Busy, busy, busy! It's a good thing! :)

Always On Watch said...

Suddenly being cut off from blogging is miserable. I've been through that withdrawal process a few times, due to various reasons.

I wonder if the Blogger shut down and the Sitemeter screwup are related somehow.

PS: Big Bubba is here? I don't see him out and about much anymore.

Always On Watch said...

TMW said, I got a call from a certain friend, early, while I was trying to decide if I wanted to get up or not...I got up.

That would be I, of course.

Z said...

AOW...I hear tell that would be you, yes! (smile!


CAN SOMEBODY TELL ME HOW TO GET BACK INTO MY SITEMETER? IS THERE SOME NEW NUMBER EVERYBODY'S GOT? pLEASE HELP..AND GO SLOOOOWLY IF YOU'RE GOING TO DESCRIBE HOW TO FIX MY SITEMETER INACCESSIBILITY (pleeease?), I'M A COMPUTER MORON!!!

Z said...

AND THANKS FOR THE WELCOME BACK..

I am so glad we're ALL back..withdrawals aren't pretty!!

Z said...

Oops! I AM BACK ON SITEMETER! They must have fixed something!

HURRAH! (am still going to have a martini with two olives out at dinner tonight!)

Ducky's here said...

That's OK z, Ducky doesn't do Starbuck's.

Take a free whack at Ducky since Manny "the Mutt" Ramirez got his sorry ass out of town and now he can disrespect the game I love in L.A. where the fans will appreciate Manny's little japes.

I love the Jason Bay trade. Bay was solid on defense, on the base paths and managed a 12th inning triple to help win it.
Manny the Mutt with a runner on in the 9th in a one run game managed a double play which is becoming more and more of his game as he loses his stroke.

The baseball gods are smiling again.

Rita Loca said...

It was a very scary time, yesterday! {{{SHUDDER}}}

Z said...

honestly, Ducky? I have no idea WHAT you're talking about...Manny the WHAT?

JM...me, too

Anonymous said...

Hey Z,
I'm sure glad I met you too!


Ducky, Ramirez says he'll cut his hair. That's an improvement right there.

Since the Red Sox are paying his freight for this year, and if he can hit around 300, I'm willing to put up with almost anything. We'll see.

He can take Andruw Jones' place, for whom the Dodgers paid 14 million to hit 167!

Go Dodgers!

Pris

Anonymous said...

The first step is admitting you have a problem, Z! Bwahahahaha!
I'm right there with ya!!!

Z said...

We went to dinner tonight and I honestly felt like having wine, but I COULDN"T..had to have a Kettle One with 3 olives on the rocks..AND the olives were stuffed with blue cheese! mmmm

So......only ONE.
Alcohol doesn't have me in its clutches......BUT BLOGGING DOES! I AM Z AND I AM A BLOGOHOLIC!!

MathewK said...

Sorry to hear about your blogger woes people, perhaps you should give wordpress a go, apart from the crap site templates and having to pay up for making changes to the way the site looks, it's been real good to me.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks like I missed out on a lot.

Sorry to hear about the problem you had..but I CAN relate to the 'need'. LOL

Glad, however, that the situation brought you some communication with others you've 'known' in the blogosphere in ways you might never have known them..i.e. the helpfulness or willingness to extend themselves and phone calls etc. Those silver linings huh?

love to you all...sorry I've been so remiss in keeping in touch. I'll try to do better in future.

Pati

Z said...

Pati, you're ALWAYS missed and I DEMAND you comment more often (smile!)

That's an edict!! We miss you..thanks for coming by!! xxxx