Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Eat your peas

I felt we could all do with a (far) less serious (and even humorous?) post long about now! Plus, I haven't done a recipe for a while, so this is long overdue!

A family secret is that Mr. Z, a tall, strapping man of strength and vitality and quite some manual dexterity, has a heck of a time and complains about keeping peas on his fork. (sshhhh, my mother doesn't even know this). I happen to love peas but I hadn't made them in a while because, frankly, I didn't want to hear it (right, wives?). I mean, who wants to be married to someone who nags, even jokingly, about how his peas won't stay on his fork!?

So, a few months ago, I had about had it with depriving myself of this treat (an especially good side dish for meat loaf, which I happen to love), and decided I'd try something that might make peas more attractive...and less .....unpredictable.... in their behavior! I shmooshed them! (I learned that term at the Cordon Bleu in Paris, where I did take a class, by the way, but it did not include peas).

If any of you have the same trouble Mr. Z has, or you have children who don't love their peas, check this out (you will recognize this as a public service announcement):

Boil water and add frozen peas. Cook till they're..........cooked. (another French cooking hint)

Drain most of the water. Add as much grated parmesan cheese as you like (Start with about a 1/4 of a cup and then, later, after you've shmooshed, taste and add more if you like! Another tip: If you add enough parmesan, your children will not remember that dish started out with the dreaded peas). Shake a bit of garlic powder into it (never use garlic SALT for anything, folks...that's a Z recommendation). Add S&P to taste, and shmoosh with an immersion blender, up and down, till they're the consistency you think you'd like. (If you're married to a man like mine, test with a fork; if peas still fall off, shmoosh again!)

This treatment of peas is really very delicious and does wonders for a marriage.

If you'd like to do something else I do if I happen to have them, drop about five small frozen onions into the peas when they're cooking and follow instructions as above. By the way, keeping a bag of small frozen onions in the freezer is great for a lot of things, especially applying the bag to an elbow or knee if you happen to have fallen! :-) Yes, yes, you may chop into small dice a normal onion and sautee it a bit and then throw it into the newly cooked peas if you like, but why bother when you can just throw the frozen ones in....or leave the onions out all together. I did tonight, and they were not missed.

Thankfully, the floor was....Missed, that is. Mr. Z did a FINE job of finishing ALL his peas and not complaining once.

You'll thank me. I promise.

but, seriously, folks....they are REALLY good this way! Enjoy!

z

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do enjoy the peas this way, thanks to the Chef in the house. Am I lucky or what to have somebody like that around who delivers restaurant quality every evening? (But that is not the only reason I am lucky).

Mr.Z

Anonymous said...

Mr Z, you are lucky for sure. You are both lucky. A truly wonderful couple.

If I could make a useful suggestion:

If it's just the two of you at home for dinner - try a spoon??!!


Z, that does sound good. I've bought frozen peas in a sauce. Pretty good too, and quick if heated in the microwave.

Pris

sue said...

or you could try this:

I eat my peas with honey
I've done it all my life
It makes the peas taste funny
but it keeps them on the knife.

(anonymous)

heidianne jackson said...

the ONLY way my oldest, miss k, will eat her peas. btw, z, if we give peas a chance won't the carrots and Lima beans be jealous?

I think I'll make these tomorrow. and mr. z, mr. j says he may be the only man on the planet luckier than you.

say it with me z - ahhhhhh

Z said...

Pris...do you know I actually almost DID give him a soup spoon tonight?!

sue..very cute! Actually, I'm thinking honey on peas might not be too bad!?
sounds like something our FT who comments here would write!

Heidianne! aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Oh, and THANKS, Mr. Z!!

Reading Rosie said...

Hey Z! This is commentor Rosie from Tony C Today blog. Glad I made you gawff! Just had to visit after that comment and I love your blog. If you want, you can check out my blog at http://www.parkersgowest.blogspot.com/

BTW - I heart peas!

Z said...

Hi, Rosie! Your piece on THE DENTIST was a scream! Everyone ought to go read it! Thanks for coming by!

Reading Rosie said...

Hey! Thanks for the kind words! I have a niece who lives in LA. I don't know Pinky but I'll go look her up. Democrat/Dentist all the same thing in my book :)

Average American said...

Ah, peas, the one vegetable I like better out of the can versus frozen or fresh. I usually eat them with lots of gravy. They stay on the fork rather well like that. Sometimes, peas, gravy, and mashed potatoes, regular or sweet, all mixed together works the best. Sorry Z, peas are not meant to be mashed, enless you're making peasoup, another of my favorites!

I.H.S. said...

Z, kind of sounds like the adult version of baby food.:)

I would personally go with a spoon like Pris said, but in public I'll use a SPORK. :)

The recipe sounds good, I'll run it by the Mrs.

Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious, Z, but I was taught that the ONLY way to eat peas was to line them up on the blade of a dinner knife, lift the knife ever-so-gently into a strategic position vis-a-vis the mouth, then TILT and let them SLIDE in.


Isn't that the way the BEST people eat peas?


(And yes, I'm joking --- incase there were any doubts! ;-)


~ FreeThinke


PS: Parmesan can improve just about anything. It's great sprinkled on hot fudge sundaes. };-)>

Anonymous said...

just roll them into the mashed potatoes, I always say...

Z said...

"adult version of baby food" is perfect, IHS!

FJ....good thinking! We just don't eat many potatoes (tho I never met a potato I didn't love)

FT...knowing YOU, we COULD have thought you were serious about eating peas on a knife! So PROPER, dontcha know! (LOL!) GOOD to see you commenting, m'dear! I haven't commented to anybody much because I've been very busy and very discouraged!!

Bloviating Zeppelin said...

I've always enjoyed peas. However, unlike many, I utilize a SPOON when I eat them, no matter what others around me think. Why in the world would you want to use a ridiculous fork?

BZ

I.H.S. said...

BZ, I say SPORK.

Blessings.

Anonymous said...

O like the sound of the recipe.
I have experimented with peas, adding bits of diced onion and mushrooms, into the saucepan as they cooked.

But shmoosing them, sounds ..indeed like baby food.


I saw a lovely recipe on a show about health where a great peasoup was made from frozen peas.
They recommended a vegetable flavor cube to add to the mixture.

Isn't cooking wonderful?

Seeing as how spring is coming, peas just might be something I add to my garden.


WVDOTTR

Ducky's here said...

Peas are too starchy. Junk food.

I.H.S. said...

Only you, Duckey.

Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Well one can always make PEASE PORRIDGE HOT. But please don't eat it COLD --- or leave it in the pot till it gets NINE DAYS OLD.


YUKE! (:-x


I like the mashed potato idea from FJ. BUT, I'm effectively off all white starch for the foreseeable future. Starch turns to sugar, and sugar makes for trouble with a capital T --- especially for folks prone to diabetes.


Ducky's right in one sense. Peas ARE starchy, but they are hardly junk food, especially if enjoyed while fresh-picked and still young as WVDOTTER suggests.


If you aren't concerned with calories, CREAMED PEAS are good. Creamed peas with sauteed mushrooms and tiny pearl onions are even better. Add some pre-cooked diced ham, and you have a great one-dish meal.


And then there are creamed peas with shrimp over buttered toast points.


And then there is always CHICKEN POT PIE in which peas are a primary ingredient.


But when all is said and done, Z's recipe sounds scrumptious.


Mr. Z is blest, indeed, to have such a Chef-in-Residence.


Hey! This is a fun thread. Thanks for the pleasant diversion, Z. Good eating IS as much a part of "reality" as bad politics. It's good to be reminded of that.


Cheers!@

~ FT

heidianne jackson said...

ft you're making my mouth water.

and i've just decided that for supper tonight, rather than z's delicious recommendation, i'm going for grits with cheese and peas and shrimp. at least there will be shrimp in the bowl for mr. j - alas i am allergic so i will have to refrain. hey maybe i'll make up a serving as suggested by z for me!!!

fun indeed!

Anonymous said...

I like peas. I eat them out of the can, cold.

Mr.Z will have to toughen up! Or use a spoon, maybe?

Z said...

FT, I'm glad you enjoyed the post; it IS important to take a break from politics from time to time!

I have to admit we don't eat much peas, either....diet reasons, but I have always loved them and, I'm telling you, children peas-haters will love them with parmesan and a little garlic powder!

Ducky's here said...

They do have a saving grace. They aren't as bad as lima beans.

Anonymous said...

Amen, mr. ducky.

Z said...

Ducky and FJ; VERY true.

ptui

Anonymous said...

I must confess, I love grits, and with a little cheese, you are talking some good eating.


My grandparents used to plant all types of peas. Peas that looked more like beans, actually.


And all sorts of beans, or butterbeans, as they called them.


Maybe this summer I can plant some sprouts, they grow very well and are pretty easy to care for.

Love green beans , and when I plant them, I plant the bush types, they are great. The beans put nitrogen back into the soil.

WVDOTTR

elmers brother said...

ahh Mr. Z...you are so right about the menu items you enjoy. Z is a wonderful cook and I'm sure her companionship even better.

Z...this was great and I love the tongue in cheek...

elmers brother said...

and I love lima beans.

Anonymous said...

Beans, beans
The musical fruit.
The more you eat
The more you toot.


Beans make wind
So, direct the flow,
And you'll move faster
Wherever you go.


Beans help foster solitude
You'll soon be alone After eating this food.


I knew a girl,
A terrible flirt,
The beans she ate
Tore a hole in her skirt.


Night time beans
Once filled his head.
Later the sheets
Blew right off his bed.


Beans beans!
Good for your heart
Eating more not less
Gives you a great start.


Back from Progress
You'll not be held.
Instead, your life will be
JET-PROPELLED.


~ from BEANTOWN: Tales of a Fellow Traveler

Z said...

Now COME ON, Elbro..NOBODY "LOVES" lima beans!

I must admit, I can FINALLY eat them if they're well surrounded by other veggies but I think the consistency is the same as the dreaded liver.

Do you like liver, too!? :-)

Anonymous said...

I happen to ADORE beans of ALL kinds ––– ESPECIALLY (baby) limas ––– so please don't insult my elevated tastes with all of this pejorative palaver.


HMMMMMMMMMPH!


~ UNOHOO