Friday, March 27, 2009

Lent? Who does LENT anymore?

I "did" lent this year. That's my vernacular for giving up something for Lent.

I gave up CHOCOLATE. No, I'm not a huge chocolate afficianado like some are, but I do like it. Lately, dark chocolate is my poison of choice and I've informed Mr. Z that he had darned well better have at least one dark chocolate bar on Easter morning for me or he's not getting his Lindt milk chocolate or the other little thing I have for him which shall remain nameless until that morning. (it's food, don't let your minds wander)
I was raised Orthodox and the Orthodox churches do observe Lent. I almost wrote "Celebrate Lent" but if you've given up something you love, let me tell you it's not much of a celebration. Some Protestants will protest that "that's legalistic!". I agree, if one is giving up something because one's been told to, that's legalistic. What you and I know is we need not give anything up because someone already gave everything up for us. You know who I mean! I believe lent is observed so we can realize and appreciate what HE went through....we can know, in this tiny way, what sacrifice feels like. That's why I did this this year, anyway.

I've mostly succeeded. I've had NO CHOCOLATE. OKAY, someone went out of her way to buy a dessert Z liked a lot at a luncheon and they were butterscotch cookies (I love butterscotch, I guess I should have given that up but I eat that even less than chocolate, so...). I had to eat one because she'd bought them especially for me. There I was picking chocolate bits out of it until my place setting looked like some nutty 4 year old had been eating whole grain bread and had decided it wasn't bad except for the grains...you know? Very unsightly. One TEENY TINY bit of chocolate did escape and make it to my mouth. I felt terrible but I'd done the best I could. I have to admit I've had twinges of "I want CHOCOLATE" (Mr Z eats quite a bit of it, and I've even unwrapped a Lindt bar for him....THAT is a sacrifice!), so I've felt that draw and I've not given into it. There's the lesson, I believe.

Would that I could think of LENT when I am pressed to gossip, hear gossip, say something negative, WORRY (which I do better than most of you and which i still do consider a sin because we're told that it is), and any bunch of other things I feel I shouldn't do. I'm not much of a gossip, but COME ON, to never gossip isn't as easy as it sounds, is it.

Will I remember this all year long? Will I remember to stop and think about Lent when someone tells me a friend's business that I shouldn't know? Will I think "Oh, come on, listen to it, it's fun and ...what's the down side?" Or will I remember Lent. Will I remember "Don't do that...remember that if you can give up chocolate you can give up this"?

Anyway, I think that's what I learned from this last month of sacrifice. Some sacrifice compared to His, huh? Silly, but it's worked for me. I figured if I had to give up chocolate you should at least read about my deprivation! And, maybe we've both learned a little about lent...and the much bigger picture.

I have, I hope.

z

30 comments:

Law and Order Teacher said...

I, too, have observed Lent. No sweets. Tough. Cookies, candy, etc.

To observe is to obey, as in a law. To celebrate is to have joy as in Easter. Having joy in deprivation is not able to compute. Good points.

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

I gave up jumping through hoops.

sue said...

z - I'm Methodist so I have never given up anything for Lent.

I like the idea of giving up something like gossip. I'm opposed to gossip, although I'm sure I do my share.

Let us know (if it's proper) what that 'little thing' is you have for Mr. Z on Easter!

Anonymous said...

I don't give up anything for Lent; my wife is in charge of that department. For example, five years ago she gave up sex.

CJ said...

I've done Lent, but not this year. One year I even gave up enough goodies to lose weight.

People get legalism all wrong. Some even think obedience to scripture is legalism. Legalism is simply doing something with the idea that it's going to save you. But doing something to please the Lord, to draw nearer to Him, to obey scripture or a church leader, is NOT legalism. Fasting for spiritual benefits is NOT legalism.

Thank you.

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Lent? Who does LENT anymore?

I lent a coworker a VHS copy of Casablanca. She's from Chile and somehow has never seen the movie before. This was 3 weeks ago, and she still hasn't watched it. This is why I rarely lend anything to people anymore.

Z said...

L&0, joy in deprivation can compute, though, don't you think?
Do you lose weight when you do the NO SWEETS thing? I was eating a cookie when I read your comment and felt so guilty (honestly!) ...it tasted TERRIBLE. I PROMISE :-)

BEAMISH! it's NOT jumping thru hoops!

sue, I'll let you know...!!
The giving up is a very interesting phenomenon. Of course, it's less than infinitesimal to what He gave up, but it's something to remember that, as CJ says below your comment.

Mustang; you SLAY me. That is HILARIOUS. is that in the bible?!!

CJ, thank you..I couldn't agree more.

Z said...

Sparky!!!! THAT's why they call YOU "WORDSMITH"!!

cute!

Anonymous said...

I can't say I ever took up the discipline of sacrificing for Lent. I know some people who have given up cussing for Lent. It made me wonder if they then cursed like sailors for all of Easter.

"Doing Lent" reminded me of a display at a grocery store. Several products related to frying fish were grouped together with the title "Lent Fixins." It struck me that if Lent can be commercialized, nothing is immune.

Tio Bowser

The Vegas Art Guy said...

I have not done Lent in years. But I never bang or tempt someone who has given something up for 40 days. That's just not cool.

Anonymous said...

I am impressed. I have never participated in Lent, but find such things, fascinationg.

Also enjoyed seeing Catholics with the ash cross across the forehead.

Just thought it was kind of cool.

But to give up chocolate, my gosh, that is asking a lot of a human woman.

WVDOTTR

Z said...

Tio...no, nothing is immune, sadly.

Vegas guy...banging? oops! Not during lent, please. Read Mustang's comment (LOL!)

WV:I had ashes on my head Ash Wed., too...the Lutheran church does that. Again, it's a reminder, not anything that 'saves'...
Don't forget, Martin Luther was a Catholic, he just didn't go for the 'business' of the Catholic church AND he very much believed it's "FAITH ALONE" (Solo Fidelis) which saves, NOT good works. But, they wouldn't have him anymore...

Law and Order Teacher said...

Z,
He believed that "faith alone" saved one. So "good works" don't count? That's interesting. I am OK with ML and his thought that people need to find out for themselves as regards the Bible. In other words, read it and live it. But, good works don't count?

So working in soup kitchens etc. are not good? Goodness gracious, I've wasted a lot of time. Help me out here.

Z said...

Good works are wonderful and help others, L&0, how bad can THAT be!?...Nobody's against that! Neither was Luther, and I don't want to get too deep into theologies and comparisons, etc., but Luther was all about "ONLY Scipture, ONLY Faith, ONLY Grace"
Scripture told him that good works do not bring salvation..only faith does.

http://www.revneal.org/Writings/lutheron.htm

That article's pretty clear on the subject.

"People need to find out for themselves as regards the Bible?" You help ME out here!!

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

Lent's just a bit too look at me for me.

Eat the cow. And slap some bacon on it because the pig ain't getting off that easy.

lovelyprism said...

Too late, my mind wandered. It's food? Really? Bummer for Mr Z.

Always On Watch said...

I come from a religious background which never observed Lent, although we certainly had friends who kept the observance.

Whatever brings one to a closer walk with the Lord is fine by me.

Rita Loca said...

I have never done lent, but what you describe is an act of spiritual discipline which many Protestants , myself included, are quite lazy about.
Although I do not practice lent, I do feel the Bible calls for us to regularly spend time in prayer and fasting, not much of that being done these days either!

Anonymous said...

Frankly, I think we should give up paying TAXES for Lent.


If one is in any way a decent person, most of LIFE is one big SACRIFICE of one kind or another.


Even when one lives entirely for oneself and works only for endless self-indulgence and self-gratification, one is making possibly the greatest sacrifice of all, for the egocentric hedonist has given up his HUMANITY --- no possibility ever of experiencing LOVE, no GRATITUDE, no KINDNESS, no INVOLVEMENT, no CONSTRUCT, no VIRTUE, no JOY.


In other words such a person misses the WHOLE POINT of being alive.


Another great thing to give up for Lent --- and all time thereafter --- is the adoration of your pet peeves.


~ FreeThinke

Anonymous said...

I knew a fellow once who gave up sex for Lent. After a couple of weeks his wife became agitated at the sudden loss of comfort and pleasure in marital their relationship.

Finally she asked him, "What's wrong? Why did you stop making love to me?"

"It's Lent," he replied.

"Is that so!" she exclaimed, "then you'd better tell me to whom and for how long, because I want it back."

~ FT

Z said...

Beamish, who's 'looking'?

FT...very funny!

Anonymous said...

I'm not Catholic Z, but in solidarity I will give up canned collard greens.

Steve Harkonnen said...

I just don't believe in "giving up" anything, especially for religious ceremonies that have been hacked throughout history, such as "Lent." Reminds me too much of those other wacky religions out there.

Z said...

Hermit, one doesn't have to be Catholic to do this, I'm not.

Steve..i'm so sorry you got that from my post.

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

I guess I put the sin in cynical, Z.

I guess the "look at me" is me looking at myself. I just don't see the point of being more religious on certain days, or any at all.

Z said...

beamish...I understand your point, but this is not being "more religious"...it's just reminding me of something that's important, that's all..
I wish we could sit and chat ... you'd be surprised at what I could tell you.

Sin in cynical? excellent.
TRUST me, I understand.

Anonymous said...

That joke was published in the Reader's Digest back in the fifties, believe it or not.


I do believe in sacrifice by the way, but not the ceremonial kind.


XXXXX,


~ FT

Anonymous said...

If we take the SIN out of cynical, can't we put the FUN back in funerals?


<§;-D

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

I don't begrudge anyone's show of faith. I envy their faith, actually.

I'm practically already deprived down to food, clothing, and shelter in my daily routine. I don't have anything to deprive myself of, and certainly nothing worthy of flagging God's fickle attention down for extra credit.

What could I give up for Lent? Cigarettes? Internet connection? Wiping with 2-ply toilet paper? Sarcasm?

Sorry, God. If you want me to kneel you're going to have to kick my legs out from under me yourself.

Anonymous said...

If you want a few weeks of peace and solitude, give up everything but beans for Lent. I guarantee humanity will give you a wide berth for the duration.


If you're a Catholic and want to punish your priest for the harsh penances he metes out, closet yourself in the confessional after a particularly hearty meal of the musical fruit. The priest will soon forgive you in self defense.

~ FT


P: Try to stay out of elevators