Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Preschool Patriotism Class..........unbelievable!

Most of you know I volunteer at a preschool. I have two classes, one has children from almost 3 to almost 4 yrs old...the other has almost 4 to almost 5. Which class they're in depends largely on their level of maturity. I taught music there for the last five years or so but, in September, I instituted the patriotic curriculum I'm developing week to week (thank goodness for the internet)! (some of you helped with ideas, remember?)

The patriotism class for the smaller children was too much for them BUT, they do know the Pledge of Allegiance now. Really well, too! It's the cutest thing.."I pwedge awegance to the fwag of de United States of Amewica..." you know how 3 year olds sound! (Sorry that sounds a tad like Barney Fwank! ha!)

BUT, the four year olds are a WHOLE different story. With them, I have persevered with the stories about America and I have been gratified beyond my wildest dreams and I thought you might enjoy hearing about what happened. This week, I had a RED LETTER DAY!

This week, I asked a lot of questions about past classes. You might say PRESCHOOLERS HAD THEIR FIRST POP QUIZ!! So far, I've covered George Washington, Abe Lincoln, Jackie Robinson, Johnny Appleseed, The Statue of Liberty, Betsy Ross, Helen Keller, The Wright Bros and Amelia Earhart, and Thomas Edison, among others. For Thomas Edison, I walked into the room, shut the lights, and said "I have an IDEA!" and flipped the lights on! They looked at me from their circle on the floor as if THEIR idea was that "Miss Z's flipped!" I did it again..."I have an IDEA!" On went the lights again. One of the kids caught on and said "I have an idea!" The rest joined in, laughing, and then I talked about the light bulb and Thomas Edison. They were intrigued.

When I did the Wright Brothers, I had only the boys get up and make like airplanes and swoop around the room after me! I had brought photos of that first plane at Kittyhawk.... Then I had the girls get up and be airplanes and I told them about Amelia Earhart. I have an Amelia in the class and she was dying for me to give her a picture of Amelia Earhart, so I did. She will never forget about Amelia Earhart!

When I did Helen Keller, I started the lesson by asking everybody to close their eyes and put their hands over their ears. I said "THIS is what Helen Keller lived like almost ALL of her life.. imagine?" They looked at me as if they just couldn't imagine that...I just had to be kidding them. So, I talked about her life and, as I talked, I'd suddenly stop and say "Close your eyes and cover your ears...!" After a few times of that, boy, did they get it. Then, I had one little girl get up and close her eyes and then I had another get up and had the first girl feel her face and hair to figure out who it was. Suddenly, all the children were doing this with their seat partners! They'll never forget THAT! But, you know? ....you just can't be sure if they'll remember once I leave the classroom, right? So, I tell you all of this because of what happened THIS WEEK.

I decided to quiz them!

Once, during our conversation this week, I had forgotten the Edison thing and actually said, innocently, "I have an IDEA..." and, before I could finish my thought, little Christopher jumped up and shut the light and opened it again! I wasn't sure what he was doing, but the kids all laughed and said "Christopher is Thomas Edison!" (I thought "They REMEMBERED the lights, and they remember Edison's NAME?") Then, I asked who was the lady who helped Helen Keller? "Annie Sullivan!" (THEY REMEMBERED THAT??) We talked about a lot of things we'd learned and I was feeling pretty darned good! One of the teachers said "You know, Miss Z, the children are really remembering a lot!" I complimented the children and left in a kind of glow of "Hey, these mornings are paying off...these children are learning about AMERICANS!"

SO, I was just about to leave the yard and get in my car when a mother of one of my children was coming in through the gate to pick her up. I said "You know, your Mimi is really bright! She remembers so much!" The mother said "OH, I have to tell you what happened at the Coffee Bean the other day! We were talking to someone and he brought up Babe Ruth and a baseball thing, and Mimi chimed in with 'Was he better than JACKIE ROBINSON?' I asked Mimi 'How do you know about Jackie Robinson?' and she said 'Miss Z told us'! Then, she told me all about Helen Keller and Amelia Earhart! This is terrific!"

Well....you can imagine how ol' Miss Z felt. I'm no teacher, I'm winging it, THIS WAS GREAT!

This week, I brought in a huge book of pictures from all over America. Every few pages, when they were really admiring a certain scene, I'd say "THIS is another beautiful place in AMERICA!" They were so excited to see the pictures of the deserts and snow and ranches and missions and farmlands and universities, and baseball stadiums, Lincoln's cabin, etc. They saw America this week! It's as easy as that to get them excited and informed!

This has been quite an experience and I hope more and more teachers start classes like this in preschools. We have to teach them to love America before they get to public school and don't hear much of this, right? Sow the seeds, folks!

OH, and they're learning Lee Greenwood's PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN! They know the chorus perfectly and pump their arms into the air with "And I want to STAND UP NEXT TO YOU and defend her still today...." I wish you could hear them!

Tell your kids how great America is while they're young....Talk about American heroes and places! WE learned it, why shouldn't these NEW AMERICANS!?

z

30 comments:

cube said...

Reading this has caused a dilemma within myself. I'm not pro-cloning, but the science fiction loving part of me wishes we could clone you and distribute you across the nation. More teachers need to teach this stuff this way. Good job.

Z said...

OH, CUBE. Thank you SO very much. That really touches my heart!
If you have any other people or things you think I should cover, let me know!
I'm thinking I might try to collect funny stories about the White House..like Wm Howard Taft's bathtub!? I remember hearing something about that. Kids love that stuff!! And WHO KNEW they'll REMEMBER!?

Thanks a LOT.

sue said...

z - that's got to be very rewarding to teach the children about these amazing people - especially two of my favorites:
Helen Keller and Amelia Earhart.

DaBlade said...

What a great service you do for these kids! Whether you realize it or not, you will hold a special place in all of these kid's hearts their entire lives. I know that's not your motivation, but you'll just have to deal with that. Can't you readily recall a select few that inspired you in your youth?

Gayle said...

You said you are no teacher. I'm sorry, but this is the first time I have disagreed with you, hon. You are dead wrong! You are a fine teacher and I agree with Cube... I wish we could clone you. You could teach a lot of people who consider themselves real teachers a thing or two.

I've been very busy, but I'm so glad I didn't miss this post! Those children will never forget these lessons, Z, because they got to actively participate in the lessons. Those children have been blessed to have you. And yes... Barnie Frank sound like a three-year-old. :)

Z said...

thanks...I'm kind of an 'accidental teacher' who just can't get over their remembering SO much!

To hear the kids make the link from Abe LIncoln freeing the slaves to Jackie Robinson playing baseball is unbelievable...they were clamoring at the Preschool Director filling her with stories! I just sat there so stunned that they'd remembered.

When doing Johnny Appleseed, I went around the room asking each of them what they'd like to be remembered for spreading all over the country like Johnny did apples.....raspberries, roses and JESUS! Who could argue!!? HAA!!

elmers brother said...

George Washington Carver

Good job Z!

Anonymous said...

Z, what a wonderful teacher you are. You know how to reach the children.

It's a great gift you have, and I think it's something one can't learn, it's just who you are. I think it's your zest for life, and real enjoyment in what you do, making a difference.

I so enjoyed reading your piece I was smiling the entire time. I could picture the little ones with their bright eyes and pride when they "got it".


DaBlade - You're so right, and some of them will tell their children about the nice teacher they had when they were just little kids, and what she taught them.


Pris

Joe said...

A classroom of children who actually KNOW American history and her great people? Astonishing.

30% of high school graduates in my state (which shall remain unnamed, but whose initials are F.L.O.R.I.D.A.) can't read their own diploma, let alone a history book.

Law and Order Teacher said...

Z,
You have a talent that you should keep using to teach these kids something very important. I have long been convinced that a teacher with enthusiasm can impart that enthusiasm to students. You are proof of that.

Getting a degree in teaching doesn't make someone a teacher. Having the love of teaching and learning and the ability to pass that onto to students does. You have that.

Great job, teach!

Chuck said...

A room full of 3 and 4 year olds, I thought my job was a little dangerous and scary. lol

Your doing a great thing Z. Kids love to learn. My daughter was a couple of years older when she learned about Lincoln. Everything was Lincoln for awhile. It's amazing how they absorb stuff. She's in 3rd grade now and my wife saw her googling about someone she learned about in school that day to get more info.

da patriot said...

"Z". You have to check this out. It is absolutly wonderful what these guys are doing.

http://oath-keepers.blogspot.com

Z said...

Wow, da..I sent this to a BUNCH of non-blogging email buddies..thanks! QUITE something!!!

Chuck...that's funny, comparing my half day at a preschool with your work in the ER!! Your daughter must have a very encouraging teacher ...good on her! xx

lovelyprism said...

Playing catch up on my reading here... Well done with the pre-schoolers! That list of mistakes was scary. Madoff should rot in hell.

christian soldier said...

Way to go Z!-
C-CS

Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Z, that was a wonderful thing you did. And here's the kicker: you'll remember that day, crisp and clear, to the end of your life. You'll have that memory pop up some years from now and you'll shake your head and smile. LOT is perfectly correct: a piece of paper does NOT a teacher make. Your wit, your IMAGINATION took those children to each and every place you wanted them to visit, with each and every new person to whom they were introduced.

You got through. And you're making a difference; a BIG difference. God bless you.

BZ

Anonymous said...

"I pwedge awegance to the fwag of de United States of Amewica..."

Brilliant, just brilliant!

"We have to teach them to love America before they get to public school and don't hear much of this, right? Sow the seeds, folks!"

Because you know very well, them lefties in public school will do their best to get them to hate America.

Good on ya Z, well done.

Dr. John said...

Z - Well done! Instead of whining about the problem and doing nothing, you set out to do what you could to change the situation. I'm with Cube, we need to clone you...

Always On Watch said...

Although I now teach middle school and up, I did spend a number of years teaching at the elementary levels. My favorite level to teach was third grade. I guess that I like to see a bit of rebelliousness -- just my personality.

However, teaching the 3-5 year olds was so rewarding. The results of the teaching are so quickly apparent.

I remember teaching some 4 year olds the song "My Country 'Tis of Thee." The students were singing right along, full voice, when one voice stood out in voicing "Sweet land of liver tree." Ah, the teachable moment! We came to a halt in the music lesson and had a discussion about the meaning of liberty, including the limitations on the practice of liberty. The discussion was one which surpassed expectations for the age group.

It is so important to impart the concept of patriotism to young children. "Train up a child in the way he should go..." indeed bears fruit in adulthood.

As you said, Z, Tell your kids how great America is while they're young....Talk about American heroes and places! Some schools simply will not include these lessons in patriotism, and even if they do, parents should still teach, by word and example, patriotism at home.

Excellent educational methodology used by you, Z. You covered the abstract by using concrete examples. The lesson objectives stay in longterm memory when you get those objectives in via different routes.

~Leslie said...

Ah that is my favorite age to work with Z. It is sooooo rewarding when you see the fruit of your labor. You have a gift and I am so glad you are using it to make a difference in the lives of these children!

I was so excited as I read your blog on this! I have taught/worked with children for over 17 years and there is no describing the feeling one gets when you see the children just absorbing the information. And you are being very creative and fun in your teaching. That is the way teaching is supposed to be.

Well done! WELL DONE!

*sorry, I am very passionate about teaching children --especially when it is done the RIGHT way.

Z said...

Boy, everyone, you're so kind.
Sometimes, I think it's a God thing; I have to admit there have been times I had no curriculum in mind because I hadn't planned (a panicky feeling when you're just about to walk into the classroom!) and, somehow, everything works out in the class!
And with the lightbulb thing, or the 'close your eyes' with Keller, it pops into my head like a gift! It surprises me, BIG time.

For those of you, especially, who KNOW how to work with kids, thanks for the very kind words.

I must admit I taught 3 days in a row when one of the teachers was away, first grade, at that same school, and THAT is the age I love. (it's a private school and it wasn't REAL good that I was the only one who could step in without any licensing, experience, etc., but it worked and the parents were okay with it for just 3 days!)

Again, thanks so much.

I hope any of you around a preschool or with small kids or grandchildren will promote this American history type of teaching.....they DO soak it up and it might be all they ever get, sadly.

But, they'll get plenty of curriculum about how we treated the slaves, as if there IS no good side to this country because of a blight like that...and they'll learn about global climate change, our terrible 'mistakes' in Vietnam,and they will learn about how we killed the Indians just because white people do that sort of thing...that's a bit later, the textbooks carrying this stuff are for older kids, but they will get that with NO foundation of America's greatness to balance it if we don't step in.

Anonymous said...

Well said! Allow me to introduce my music about American heroes to you. For the past 15 years I've made a profession of researching, songwriting, recording and performing songs about 30 American heroes for elementary school children (and their families). Most of the heroes you've been teaching are covered on my three CDs about heroes. My website: www.jonsprout.com. My CDs: American Heroes, More American Heroes and American Heroes #3, by Jonathan Sprout. Thanks!

ablur said...

That is fantastic! I applaud you.

You are right on track about how we have been stripped of the love or our nation through our modern curriculum.

I would like you to try and write a class outline and guide to each of your lessons. Remember most of the young teachers these days don't know half this stuff and need coaching. You could greatly multiply your effort by making this available to everyone.

Teaching such as this will change America for the better. Thanks for being that agent of change.

Z said...

JOnathan, except for Cesar Chavez, I think the people you list are people I'd like to teach the kids about. Teaching Chavez would be like teaching Mandela is a big hero...until you read up on his goals and what's happened since he took over S. Africa (Disaster!, it's never been more dangerous) ...but I digress!>> I have plans to buy at least one of your CD's and thanks for coming by!

Ablur...GREAT blog you have there...thanks so much for the encouraging words, I HAVE considered putting some of this down. Thanks for that!

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

What a fabulous post! You ARE a teacher, z. And a very creative and gifted one at that! Good job!

Anonymous said...

You've inspired me! So Fun and Creative. I'm working out a way to adapt it for our grandkids. I hope you get William Penn in. And for fun, Frederick Rueckheim (okay, maybe the creator of Cracker Jacks is a bit advanced for 4-yr olds). Those kids are lucky ones!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! This brought a huge smile to my face. Education (or lack thereof if we are talking about the pub. ed system) has become so important to me since having kids.
Way to help these preschoolers in a hands on, engaging learning environment. These kids are blessed to have you as a teacher!
And you've given me some additional ideas to incorporate "history lessons" with my kids. So thank YOU! :)

Z said...

Well Madeleine! HELLO!!!
I owe you an email and will write soon...I'd love to stay in contact and am SO happy you came by!!
Thanks for your comment!
Love to the family! xxx

Anonymous said...

Dear Z,

You and your young Students may thank God that you have not been burdened by a degrees or certification from a Teacher's College.


Using the passion and enthusiasm that comes from insight, broad general knowledge, sound instincts and an interesting life experience makes for better teaching. You have something REAL to share. The theories bruited about in the Eduction Mills are inimical to the successful building and maintenance of a sane, wholesome productive society.


Bless your efforts. You really ARE making a difference.


~ FreeThinke

Z said...

FT..thank you! What an interesting way of looking at it! I appreciate your kind words.

I HOPE it inspires others to consider this in their Sunday Schools or their preschools or even by grandparents to grandchildren, etc. xxx