Saturday, October 4, 2008

"I will never leave you nor forsake you." Joshua 1:5



*Do you know the legend of the Cherokee Indian youth's rite of passage?

His father takes him into the forest, blindfolds him and leaves him alone. He is required to sit on a stump the whole night and not remove the blindfold until the rays of the morning sun shine through it. He cannot cry out for help to anyone. Once he survives the night, he is a MAN.

He cannot tell the other boys of this experience, because each lad must come into manhood on his own. The boy is naturally terrified. He can hear all kinds of noises. Wild beasts must surely be all around him. Maybe even some human might do him harm.

The wind blew the grass and earth, and shook his stump, but he sat stoically, never removing the blindfold. It would be the only way he could become a man! Finally, after a horrific night the sun appeared and he removed his blindfold.

It was then that he discovered his father sitting on the stump next to him. He had been at watch the entire night, protecting his son from harm.

We, too, are never alone.

Even when we don't know it, God is watching over us, sitting on the stump beside us. When trouble comes, all we have to do is reach out to Him.

If you liked this story, pass it on. If not, maybe you took off your blindfold before dawn.

Moral of the story: Just because you can't see God, doesn't mean He is not there. 'For we walk by faith, not by sight.'


(*Z did not write this. I wish I had)

21 comments:

Obob said...

as I watch my son grow, I think how much I can and cannot protect him. I'll let him fall and bump his ead but not let it be serious.
But I watch and love

The Merry Widow said...

I've heard that before...certainly is an excellent lesson in trust!
Good morning, G*D bless and Maranatha!

tmw

Only Look said...

That is a very encouraging story.

cube said...

Very nice. Thank you for that reminder.

Beth said...

This is not only a lesson as a parent, but we are all God's children and he is there for me as well as for my children. It is indeed hard to put all your trust in this, but when you truly believe it, it is such a comfort.

Have a great weekend, Z!

Z said...

OH, great...my Sunday post published on Saturday. I must have wrongly set it!! But, now, with these nice comments, I'll leave it!!

Thanks, folks...I'm glad you enjoyed the story, too.

heidianne jackson said...

waking as i did cold, alone amongst 9 liberal college students and the only one over the age of 25 at the lodge, this was a welcome comfort. thank you for sharing - not only does god stay with us always, he either allows or orchestrates all for his ultimate glory. i believe it was his hand guiding you as you posted this, z. thank you for your love and faith in god - it is an inspiration to all of us!

Mantha said...

God is truly magnificent. Thank you, Z, for this beautiful illustration, reminding us of God's love for us.

EDGE said...

What a beautiful story and a great reminder that He is always there for each and every one of us.

Anonymous said...

...but who watches out over our nation?

Anonymous said...

Where are the American saints?

Anonymous said...

Shhhhhh! Mum's the word.

Anonymous said...

"I long ago lost a hound, a bay horse, and a turtle dove, and am still on their trail. Many are the travelers I have spoken to concerning them, describing their tracks and what calls they answered to. I have met one or two who had heard the hound, and the tramp of the horse, and even seen the dove disappear behind a cloud, and they seemed as anxious to recover them as if they had lost them themselves."--Thoreau

If you haven't seen those saints, then you haven't been looking in the mirror often enough or attending the right parades.

Karen Townsend said...

It is a lovely story. My son is now an Eagle Scout, though as most guys his age no longer active in a troop. He was elected to Order of the Arrow. It's a weekend of a revised version of this legend you write about. It's an incredible experience and the best part is his dad got to do the weekend with him as an adult leader.

Anonymous said...

This is a passage where G-d is "commissioning" Joshua ad giving him his marching orders.

Joshua 1.5 "No one shall be able to resist you as long as you live. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will not fail you or forsake you."

Thus began the conquest of the promised land from the child sacrificing Canaanites. I recognize Joshua 1.7&8 as part of the Amidah, a long and beautiful prayer that we Jews are SUPPOSED to repeat daily while facing Jeruslam.

Morgan

Gayle said...

I'm not so sure it isn't a story for a parent, Z. If we didn't spoil our kids so much maybe there would be more people unwilling to take government handouts, although I doubt very much I could put one of my kids through that. I would be whispering in his ear "Fear not for I am with you." LOL!

Great story! :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Z!

Again, this takes me back to the issue to brainwashing our kids. I know that if I love them enough to teach them about liberty, freedom, patriotism, they will come to develop strong convictions on their own.

I love this story.

Me! said...

What a beautiful story! This is a great lesson in trust not only for parents but for us as individuals. Many of us have had those days when we feel like we're walking around "Blindfolded" but God is there for us, watching us, ready to help us!

Z said...

I'm nuts for any Native American lore...real or not! I love it.

I must say that when papa Franks doesn't come by my Sunday morning post, I'm bereft.

POPPPPPSSSS!? HELLOO????? (smile)!!

shoprat said...

That is incredible and so true.

David Wyatt said...

Praise God, Z! Thank you! God Bless.