Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Get a LOAD of this one.....

Please READ THIS ARTICLE....Thomas Sowell explains multiculturalism so well and it ties so well into my post just three posts down.   Sowell ROCKS.   The sorrowful thing is that I don't believe Germany or any other Western country will recover from their open-hearted stances of the past which have been largely greeted with disdainful open palms and little else.  Oh, and don't forget the signs saying "Germany will belong to Muslims soon!"
And PLEASE, I am a first and second generation American, so do NOT lecture me on how I'm heartless toward immigrants.  By the way, Heidianne, our friend and commenter, left a comment about a friend who's a teacher and knows many Hispanic kids who've lived here in America all of most of their lives and who don't speak ENGLISH well...How can they survive and flourish here without English?  My own beloved (you'd have adored him, too) grandfather came at 9 years old from Eastern Turkey (He was not a Turk) and learned English within a few months.  They didn't cater to HIM in his school in Troy, New York, they expected him, having come to America to be an American, to learn the language, and he did.  And he became the owner of 3 of Troy's best meat markets.
Why do so many in our country undersell the intelligence of Hispanic children?  I guess it's the soft bigotry of low expectations, as Mr. George Bush so articularly put it ( for a change :-)
Why do we expect any country to survive when other cultures insist on ignoring and even insulting and threatening that of the host country?

geeeeZ

11 comments:

Sue said...

I watched an episode of "Intervention" last night...the Mexican mother of the PCP addict had been in this country for years and didn't speak a word of English. Not a comment on Mexican drug addicts...just the fact that most of them refuse to assimilate and we enable that behavior! Check this out:

http://maggiesnotebook.blogspot.com/2010/10/obama-executive-order-better-education.html

PS...My great grandfather on my dad's side came from Germany. Mother's side from Scotland. Good thing they assimilated SOON! I guess the reason most Hispanics don't is that they believe parts of the USA is still THEIR COUNTRY, so why on earth should they???
A la "La Rasa", et al...

Z said...

Sue, I was thinking that as I posted.......they don't have to learn English because they can get by without it.
At my large grocery store nearby, the checkout people speak Spanish between each other, the guys in fruits/vegetables, too.........it's like living in Tijuana. I fear they're stuck spraying broccoli and bagging food for successful people for the rest of their lives because of this. And they don't get it.

Linda said...

When my hubs, who is the oldest of 8 children, knew no English when he went to kindergarten. He came home crying, because he didn't understand what was going on. His father, who was raising his family in a German culture said his family would speak English, and learn it well. Well, they all did!

Chuck said...

Z, I take care of people all of the time in the ER that do not make the effort to learn English. We have made it too easy for people to survive on their native language by providing interpreters for everything.

Z said...

and, Chuck, they're stuck being gardeners and maids, not that that's bad, but you know what I mean.
And, as Heidianne said in her comment from the teacher/friend of hers, the kids are NOT prepared for school, even COLLEGE? And we keep passing them along because our teachers get paid more for bilingual! It's robbing people of the American future they hoped to find.

Though I think they mostly just want us to give up our lands so they won't NEED ENglish, at least the way La Raza and other groups are training our kids. Funny to consider how they won't even like America then..

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

Annex Mexico.

Untapped Mexican resources when developed will more than pay for making 100+ more million people American citizens, and they wouldn't have to cross the Rio Grande to be in the United States because they'd already be there.

Z said...

Beamish...that many people voting liberal? How do you say MAO JACKET in Spanish?

The Vegas Art Guy said...

First my grandfather is from Slovenia so I am second generation American.

Secondly I teach at a HS that is about 60% Hispanic and most of my students are fluent in spoken English and are all over the map with reading and writing in English. My honors classes are majority Hispanic as well and they bust their butts to get an education. We do have LEPs and NEPs at our school (limited English and no English proficiency) and we have a special class for them as well as resources to help them assimilate. Some do and some don't. But stop with the generalizing it only makes us look foolish. Leave that to Duckling and others on the left.

I do think we need to have English as the official language and to stop printing everything in 20 languages when it comes to government forms though.

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

Z,

Mexicans that would vote in American elections already do.

;)

Z said...

Vegas, there are exceptions here in LA, too, but, sadly, my post isn't generalizing. I wish it were.
Our testing stinks, our kids are disrespectful and angry, spurred on by La Raza and any other little whiff of hope that they can take California over again. I've felt it, I've seen it.

Susannah said...

Just read your last comment. Scary, really. Can anyone say, "Close the borders!!!" Anyone??

And yes, Thomas Sowell is one cool DUDE!