Monday, May 25, 2009

Have a great Memorial Day.........

Our dear friend Mustang, about eight months ago, emailed me his version of an HONORARY MARINE proclamation. Mr Z printed it and framed it and it hangs in our living room. When I first saw it, it brought tears to my eyes. We all know it has nothing to do with the huge honor of a real Marine proclamation of ANY kind, but he said he gave it to me for my work here at the blog and was I thrilled. Reading it hit something very deep inside me. Those tears reminded me of how much I knew I didn't deserve even a 'mock' proclamation, how much I admire the immense courage and sacrifice of our soldiers, and how it felt that someone actually went to the trouble of doing something like that because in this TINIEST way, because of blogging, he thought I measured up (super, considering they'd have had to chisel my hands off those boats in Normandy before they got me in those waters facing Germans on those coasts, TRUST me). Mustang doesn't know quite what it meant to me, but, considering it came from him, someone I so admire for his service, his love of America, and so much more, I'm telling him now it meant a LOT. There are others among you who're reading this who served our great country and I thank you. But, I have the privilege of knowing Mustang the best, so this is for him. This is a Memorial Day salute to Mr and Mrs Z's 'family soldier and friend'. You make us proud, Mustang. Semper Fi, SIR. (Please read Mustang's Sunday post...and his others...amazing) Thanks also to ALL you patriotic bloggers who do so much for our country. I send an unwritten proclamation to YOU...I admire each and every one of you.

And now, the annual printing of my poem from 1998......(like it or not, it puts me in the mood for Memorial Day)


Memorial Day at Frank and Ellie's
Windermere, Florida

The lake bumped the sand, causing the water to wrinkle at the end of the long grass slope
that started back up at the house

The slope was lime green and shadow leaves swayed across it in the breezy heat...the barbecue was smoky with hamburgers, and the table was piled with bowls of cole slaw, potato salad, pickles, catsup and mustard

We sat under towering oak trees with black angled branches and a white blue sky that held the heat in like the lid on a pot of corn on the cob

Bessie the dog ran through the trees and into the lake while the four small boys splashed in the water and Grandpa shouted advice about their plastic raft, him being an old navy man

The furniture in the house was American Primitive, dark wood-spoked chairs on an intricate wood floor and bright orange crate labels from the family business hung framed against pine slat walls

A small American flag waved out of the large spoon pitcher on the stove next to Grandma's three layer chocolate cake, and the childrens' popsicles were red, white and blue and left their mouths patriotic with color....It was Memorial Day that warm Florida Monday. We didn't mention it, but it was there. Z

For a really good laugh, don't fail to see Zack's Diversity Lane cartoon..........wonderful.

Enjoy your day....while we have the freedoms our soldiers fight for!

26 comments:

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Enjoy your Memorial Day!

Anonymous said...

Well said Mustang.

Thank you, if it weren't for the blood of Americans i wouldn't be here, if i were, i'd be typing this in Japanese, maybe German.

JINGOIST said...

Z, thanks for the poem. I remember reading it last year, and I STILL love it!

~Leslie said...

A lovely tribute Z! Thank you for sharing it. Have a beautiful day!

Joe said...

The saddest thing about The United States of America is that it seems like a neer majority of her citizens and leaders no longer believe that the principles of liberty laid down in 1776 are worth dying for.

Thanks for a great tribute!

David Wyatt said...

Thank you Z & Mustang. Bro. Joe is so right, & Joe, we are praying for you bro. As we remember, let's also remember Jesus Christ, as per 2 Timothy 2:8!

Always On Watch said...

Z,
I'll be busy much of today -- running errands (to my 93-year-old aunt's house, for one thing, and the VFW for another).

Let me take this opportunity to wish you and Mr. Z a blessed Memorial Day.

Anonymous said...

I liked your poem, Z. It is nice to hear someone who says thanks and truly means it. You'd be surprised how much that can mean.

elmers brother said...

Great one Z.

and Mustang, Semper Fi.

christian soldier said...

Thank you Z---
C-CS

Z said...

Z said...

All of you enjoy your Memorial Days, too.

MK...from Australia and you appreciate American sacrifice more than some of America. Thank you.

Jingo! Thanks..And I'm so glad your brand new blog's doing so well. Congrats!

Leslie, your poem over at your place is TOP DRAWER...I highly recommend people go see that..good work.

Joe, How are you doing? You're in my prayers, buddy. have a great day, don't overdo. And thank you for the compliment.
David's right..you're in our prayers. Thanks for that reminder.

Always..have a good one. Same to you.

Hermit; There can BE no thank you bigger or more heartfelt than the one to an American soldier.

Thanks, Elbro and CS..have a good day.

A reminder: Especially to a VietNam vet: Give thanks. He fought a hard and grueling war no matter what anybody thinks about if we should have been there or not; Less than a huge THANK YOU was NEVER appropriate.

THANK YOU, ESPECIALLY, VietNam Vets.

shoprat said...

I am enjoying ti.

The Vegas Art Guy said...

Have a great Memorial Day. I also blogged about today along with a drawing I did several years ago.

David Schantz said...

Thank you Z for a great post/tribute. I also want to thank everyone that is now serving or has ever served in the United States military. I hope everyone will join me in making a promise to never forget those that paid for our freedom with their lives.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Z.
This is a day for reflection and gratitude for all who gave their lives for our country. Heroes all.

Remembering, when as a small child during WWII, I would see my grandmother run to the mailbox in hopes there would be a letter from my uncle, her son, who was in the Air Corps serving overseas.

So, with that, I honor too the families of these brave men and women who worry and wait, yet do so with pride in their loved ones who serve, and pride in America.

God bless them all, and rest in peace to all who are gone. We'll always remember you. Thank you.

Pris

Jan said...

Z..I love the poem!

I love you, too, for your heartfelt love for our country, and all that it stands for, and the fact that you are never afraid to say so!

God's richest blessings to you, and Mr. Z

HoosierArmyMom said...

Several years ago, I had the pleasure of working with a Vietnamese immigrant named Thu. I was there when she earned citizenship and beamed proudly. Her father used to make egg rolls that were to die for. Thu would come in and bring them by the pan fulls and we would get greedy over them.

I was also there the day that a man who didn't know her very well, went about the business of apologizing to her for the American troop presence in Viet Nam.

Little hurricane Thu, who was all of maybe 5'and weighed 80 lbs soaking wet, went medieval on this guy!!!!

She informed him that before American troops came, the Viet Cong had managed to murder about half of her family. That they who were left, were still alive because the American troops came and helped them and protected them. And she promptly told him he didn't have a clue about what happened there and to just shut up about it. LOL!!!! The man, probably in shock, slinked off, never to be seen or heard from again. So if you ask a Vietnamese/American whether we should have been there, you will more than likely get a strong perspective that Yes, our military saved innocent lives being there.
(I guess I'm in "bard" mode today!)

Much thanks to all who have served not only America, but the many freedom loving people of the world.

Wonderful post Z!!!!

~Leslie said...

Thank you Z!

elmers brother said...

Ooyah Vietnam Vets

psi bond said...

Z: A reminder: Especially to a VietNam vet: Give thanks. He fought a hard and grueling war no matter what anybody thinks about if we should have been there or not; Less than a huge THANK YOU was NEVER appropriate.THANK YOU, ESPECIALLY, VietNam Vets.

I accept your heartfelt gratitude, Z, even if you don't accept me.

Z said...

Psi Bond. I didn't know you are a VietNam vet. If that's the case, you'll just have to accept it from me because I'd mean it. And that's the truth.

psi bond said...

Psi Bond. I didn't know you are a VietNam vet. If that's the case, you'll just have to accept it from me because I'd mean it. And that's the truth.

Yes, that is the case, Z. My Vietnam service came up in an exchange you and I had several years ago on FPM.

Z said...

I didn't remember.
Thank you.

psi bond said...

I know, Z, you weren't thinking of me when you thanked Vietnam vets, but I know you are generous enough to include me, even if you don't respect me.

elmers brother said...

I think Psi Bond you may be confusing agreement with respect.

psi bond said...

Elmers Brother: I think Psi Bond you may be confusing agreement with respect.

In point of fact, I do not confuse agreement with respect. As everyone knows, including me, one can respect someone with whom one disagrees. For example, I had a lot of respect for William F, Buckley, even though I disagreed with him on most issues.

Although I do not, some here believe everyone who disagrees with them is an imbecile or a fascist.