Monday, May 25, 2009

Last minute thoughts and pictures for Memorial Day........



Pictures from the Westwood VA Cemetery ceremony today....from afar (every one of the 86,000 graves have flags on them), a little closer in the second shot (note the choir to the left and the bandstand), and a little girl running free because of the men lying in rest under her feet. The chaplain closed the ceremony with ".....to God we pray, in the NAME ABOVE ALL NAMES..." No, happily and surprisingly, he was not arrested shortly after the service. 14 Congressional Medal of Honor recipients are at rest very near UCLA. They should have gone there to college instead. School, family, love, joy......all sacrificed.

When I got home to post these, a friend had sent this poem. What could be better?

A Memorial Day Poem
By C W Johnson

We walked among the crosses
Where our fallen soldiers lay.
And listened to the bugle
As TAPS began to play.

The Chaplain led a prayer
We stood with heads bowed low.
And I thought of fallen comrades
I had known so long ago.

They came from every city
Across this fertile land.
That we might live in freedom.
They lie here 'neath the sand.

I felt a little guilty
My sacrifice was small.
I only lost a little time
But these men lost their all.

Now the services are over
For this Memorial Day.
To the names upon these crosses
I just want to say,

Thanks for what you've given
No one could ask for more.
May you rest with God in heaven
From now through evermore

God bless them all.
Please see Sparks from the Anvil's AMAZING video.

z

12 comments:

Z said...

Let me add here to the poem; there were plenty of Stars of David on the graves as well as crosses, as there are at the cemeteries near Normandy.

God bless them all.

namaste said...

these photos are amazing, z. thanks for sharing.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY.

god bless.

Anonymous said...

Z, The photos are great. I love seeing all the flags, just beautiful.

Yes, God bless them all.

Pris

shoprat said...

Great Pictures and great poem.

Always On Watch said...

Westwood VA Cemetery? I thought I recognized the photos.

I visited there once, mainly to get directions to Westwood Memorial Park. But I also took a bit of a tour there. Dino Paul Martin is buried there (trivia fact).

"Flags In," the placing of a flag on each departed veteran's grave, must be a nationwide effort.

Of course, I've been to Arlington National Cemetery many, many times as it is so near me. I believe that over 300,000 of our military are interred at Arlington -- a sea of flags and gravestones on Memorial Day.

Chuck said...

Z, there's not a better tribute than a child running free. Good post.

Z said...

Glad you enjoyed the pix; I enjoyed sharing a bit of LA with you all!
(since you'll be owning it soon..I'm JUST KIDDING!! HEH!)

That little girl really captured the purpose of those men's deaths.......
nice day. Then I get home to find a friend had sent the perfect poem. unreal.

I hope you're all stuffed with good food and did plenty of contemplating the sacrifice of our finest Americans. God bless.

Z said...

Oh. NOw I have to ask you to ROOT FOR THE LAKERS.

and PLEASE get ABC's commentators to recognize Kobe's pretty darned good, TOO!? geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeZ

elmers brother said...

Z...you out did yourself with Memorial Day posts and those who have served are thankful for your support.

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

z,

I was there this afternoon. I suppose this is one of those things we could have coordinated together.

Z said...

Elbro...this is a very important day, isn't it. Thank s for YOUR service.

Wordsmith.......darn!

Pat Jenkins said...

i hope you and mr. z had a special memorial day z!!...